Hello

I have an eeepc X101CH its running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    It has the following specs:

Memory 991.2Mib
    Processor Intel Atom CPU N2600@ 1.60GHz x 4
    Graphics "unknown"
    OS type 32-bit
    Disk 314 GB

When I run minecraft it runs on 2-3 fps , I want it to be able to run atleast at 25 fps. I have Oracle's Java 7

//Caroline
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; April 22nd, 2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: marked solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Minecraft on Ubuntu (netbook)

I can't guarantee this will make a large boost, but hopefully you will see a slight increase in fps with this method.

Right now, you are using the Unity + Compiz interface correct? Instead of using that, try using the MATE interface by doing the following (it will install it for you):
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository “deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main” 
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mate-core mate-desktop-environment
    Do these commands in a new Terminal. Type the first line and hit Enter. Do the second line and hit Enter, and so on and so forth. After it's all done, restart your system. Now on the log in screen, click the circular Ubuntu icon and you can select between the default Unity or MATE interface. Click MATE and login. Now your interface will be different, but less taxing on your system resources. Try running Minecraft, and you should hopefully see a boost in fps. I can't say how much of a boost, but I hope it'll be worthwhile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes I will try that, but the repository command didn't work?

Beans
    Distro

What error did it return? I installed MATE on Ubuntu 13.04 on my laptop this way and it did work. You are using Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin right? Not Ubuntu 12.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

it said
    xxx@xxx-X101CH:~$ sudo add-apt-repository “deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main” [sudo] password for xxx:
    Error: need a repository as argument
    On this computer im using 12.04 lts 32bit

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main" && sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mate-core mate-desktop-environment
    Alright, try this instead. I think the quotes were wrong. Strange why it pasted something else, but this should work. Let me know if it still doesn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes thanks , now it works

Beans

I tried running Minecraft on my netbook and also got a very poor fps. I tried it using Windows XP which I have on another partition, and I doubt that Linux will be any faster. Sorry to say it, but I doubt a netbook is capable of running Minecraft (unless there's something I'm doing very wrong...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

You may be able to speed up minecraft by adjusting some options in minecraft to shift it to performance with a shorter view and disabling some effects. Or it may help to increase your RAM to 2 GB. I am not familiar with mate, but according to glmark2, gl graphics in Lubuntu are about 1/3rd faster than Ubuntu running Unity.

I can run minecraft on an Acer W500P tablet PC with AMD C-50 cpu (1 GHz 2 core) 2 GB RAM w/ATI HD 6250 video @ 1280x800 booting Ubuntu or Lubuntu (w/common /home) from SD card. Speed slows down when loading chunks, but can be 15-20 fps at times when chunk loading settles down. I normally only use that computer when out of town.

Although, I have not tried most recent minecraft version, because since just before Steam was released for Linux, I have been playing Team Fortress 2 (and bought Half-Life and Counterstrike when on sale) on my desktop PC.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ok, thx.

Is it possible to increase the RAM on a netbook?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast