Thread: function to disable display?

Beans

function to disable display?

I like to use my computer before bed to listen to music/audiobooks but I would like to have a way of using Kubuntu without having an active display unless I actually require so. Is there a way to attach a shortcut to disabling the display?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: function to disable display?

Sounds like you could do with a screensaver, never really used one myself on Ubuntu but there seems to be a few options in Google.

Beans

You're right. I guess I was hoping for a more convenient and command line based answer that didn't involve opening the menu and adjusting the time and settings every night. But that's not too bad really.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Apparently Ctrl+Alt+L starts the screensaver, not at my Ubuntu machine to test it though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hi
    i have an icon (pause.desktop) to start the screensaver with a klick: /usr/bin/xdg-screensaver activate
    ciao
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans

awesome script. i don't know what kclick is but I'll make an sh out of it. unfortunately it activates the "locked screen" b/c that's what I want as my default screensaver. I'll just change it to blank screen and try to accept if someone gets on my laptop while I'm away they're just reducing their karma in life.

Think that a translation issue, I think any shortcut you create for the Screensaver may perhaps have this command: /usr/bin/xdg-screensaver activate
    Have a great Day and let us know...
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans

works great thanks

Beans

I guess while we're on the same topic does anyone know how to make a shortcut for sleeping the computer? I know the command is "sudo pm-suspend" but making a script for that doesn't work.

Beans

Also. I tried to change my screen saver .."screen locker" in kde to a blank screen but activating the screensaver still only "locks" the screen without turning off the display