Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stuck with ubuntu 11.10 :(

Beans

Re: stuck with ubuntu 11.10 :(

allright .. but i can't check the update setting because i am waiting for another post ;/
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2137897
    so i will wait some one answer me and check the setting u told me

Beans

1: i have 5 questions on the top of this post , u told me how to upgrade . but will this upgrade remove the dell recovery .

the size of this OS 1.5 GB and normal ubuntu 11.10 is 700 MB . so i am too much worried that upgrading ( even updating ) may remove some of dell factory setting and add normal setting that could harm the laptop or make it work in insufficient way ( like we hear all the time " fan on max load ...etc " ) ,

i dont know if the ubuntu update's could get near the " dell customized kernel system or the ubuntu system " or could not

2 : what dell added to this ubuntu ?

i have marked the question by 1 and 2
    there are some more question on the top of the post ;/

if u have some info about what dell added to ubuntu i will be glad that u tell me .

Beans
    Hidden!

I cannot say with any certainty what a release upgrade will do to your system. In theory, you should end up with a working system and all the latest and greatest improvements. This includes kernel upgrade. But the bottom line is there are no guarantees.

A release upgrade should only affect the ubuntu partition and not your dell recovery partition. And before you ask I have no idea what that recovery partition does.

You have multiple questions going on. I think you need to decide on a course of action. Repair of 11.10 seems futile to me, since its reaching EOL.

I currently have a dell testbox and a dell laptop that I treat no different from my IBM. They are all older units so maybe thats why they give me no problems. So I have no dell pacific info for you.

Beans

u miss understod me , i know that ext4 have nothing to do with dell partitions's
    i mean the dell installed setting " factory installed setting on ubuntu etx4 partition " which the setting that imported from the " ubuntu customized source on the dell partition " to ext4 during the install
    i am worried to change those setting on the ext4 .. after update or upgrade ..
    and the only way to get those setting back is to use the recovery

the recovery will set the laptop as the first time it started .. on the begain of the install .
    my dell came with ubuntu label on it and when press power u are in the install ...

i just made the recovey because of stupid programe called jupiter which missed with dell power setting , and set his own setting even after i close it .. or uninstall it :O
    Last edited by abdorefky; April 30th, 2013 at 04:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry, my old Dells do not come with any such factory settings. I cannot help you with this.

Beans

great i found the box for notfiy me of new ubuntu verions , unchecked .. which mean i can upgrade

ty very much .

Beans

abdo@abdo-Inspiron-5520:~$ do-release-upgrade
    Checking for a new ubuntu release
    No new release found
    abdo@abdo-Inspiron-5520:~$

Beans

looks like i read wrong . u said " before u ask " on post 13
    and i read it as "like u ask"
    that's why i said " u miss understood me " on post 14
    sorry ibjsb4 i am the one who read wrong and miss understand .
    Last edited by abdorefky; April 30th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.

Beans

finally i got the upgrade notification and i upgraded to it .

thx for all who help me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12