Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Nouveau been problematic for you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Nouveau - Has it been problematic for you?

I just reloaded the nouveau driver and it turned my system to molases - 'painfully slow'. nVidia back in and it flys.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Has Nouveau been problematic for you?

Nouveau has never worked with my Geforce GTS250. Always have to reboot with Recovery, Resume Normal Boot, to start in low graphics and then change to an Nvidia closed driver.

Beans

Suspend doesn't work with GT230M. I heard it's fixed in 3.9 kernel.

Beans
    Distro

Suspend works with GeForce 210/218 but network will not come up.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans

Well it helps to know that I'm not alone. When I read the recent reports about Nouveau stacking up with Nvidia in certain areas of performance I expected it to run wicked fast. I will say though... I AM super curious as to how my desktop would run on Nouveau in the event that I had the Unity dash blur turned off. I only just discovered that in the Unty Tweak Tool an hour ago on my laptop and haven't tried my desktop yet. Then again, my desktop had the entire UI locking up and crashing at random times. I'm sure the blur being off helps with speed, but I doubt it would help wth that sort of behavior.
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

No problems with nouveau nor nvidia in Ubuntu.

Nvidia creates merry havoc with themes in Xubuntu, using nouveau.

GeForce 210

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    No problems with nouveau nor nvidia in Ubuntu.

Nvidia creates merry havoc with themes in Xubuntu, using nouveau.

GeForce 210
    Pardon my ignorance, but are you indicating that you currently use Nouveau, or that Nouveau (not Nvidia) was the one creating merry havoc? I read that a few times and still wasn't sure I caught your angle.
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Xubuntu is happy with nouveau

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This thread poses exactly the question I wanted to ask. I'm running a clean install of 13.04 with an Nvidia GT440 on an LG 1280 x 1024 monitor.

I really wanted to give nouveau a good try, and I've been using it for about a week. However, it causes corruption of the graphics including loss of icons, menus appearing for the wrong program or not appearing in the correct location in the right program, upside-down remnants of programs I've closed (including Evince, Firefox, and Meld), and consistent hanging on restart and occasional hanging on shutdown that require a hard reset or hard shutdown.

I tried the nvidia 304 driver, which worked for me in 12.10, and thought I had bricked my system. It took several hard reboots before I could even enter recovery mode. I got in a loop of the error “udev [406]: timeout: killing /sbin/smartprobe -bv pci... [429]." The recovery menu would eventually appear, but that error message would over-write it so that I couldn't make a selection. Reboots hung right after the line “Syncronizing SCSI cache.” I was about to give up, but the last reboot got me to the recovery menu and I was able to remove the 304 driver.

I tried the nvidia 310 driver, and it gave me 640 x 480 graphics in grub if it booted at all, but would usually give me the black screen routine and wouldn't switch to a tty despite repeated attempts, requiring a hard reboot. Fortunately, I was able to get into recovery mode and remove it without the errors I had with 304.

Finally, I tried the nvidia 313-updates driver. It gave me 640 x 480 graphics in grub, but it works fine otherwise so far, and I can restart and shut down the machine, at least in my testing thus far. I added the GRUB_GFXMODE and GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX lines in /etc/default/grub to set the correct resolution for grub during boot. I am hoping for the best.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linux4me View Post
    This thread poses exactly the question I wanted to ask. I'm running a clean install of 13.04 with an Nvidia GT440 on an LG 1280 x 1024 monitor.

I really wanted to give nouveau a good try, and I've been using it for about a week. However, it causes corruption of the graphics including loss of icons, menus appearing for the wrong program or not appearing in the correct location in the right program, upside-down remnants of programs I've closed (including Evince, Firefox, and Meld), and consistent hanging on restart and occasional hanging on shutdown that require a hard reset or hard shutdown.

I tried the nvidia 304 driver, which worked for me in 12.10, and thought I had bricked my system. It took several hard reboots before I could even enter recovery mode. I got in a loop of the error “udev [406]: timeout: killing /sbin/smartprobe -bv pci... [429]." The recovery menu would eventually appear, but that error message would over-write it so that I couldn't make a selection. Reboots hung right after the line “Syncronizing SCSI cache.” I was about to give up, but the last reboot got me to the recovery menu and I was able to remove the 304 driver.

I tried the nvidia 310 driver, and it gave me 640 x 480 graphics in grub if it booted at all, but would usually give me the black screen routine and wouldn't switch to a tty despite repeated attempts, requiring a hard reboot. Fortunately, I was able to get into recovery mode and remove it without the errors I had with 304.

Finally, I tried the nvidia 313-updates driver. It gave me 640 x 480 graphics in grub, but it works fine otherwise so far, and I can restart and shut down the machine, at least in my testing thus far. I added the GRUB_GFXMODE and GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX lines in /etc/default/grub to set the correct resolution for grub during boot. I am hoping for the best.
    You'll have to upgrade to Saucy, if you want any answers to your questions here. Seeing as Raring has been released, it would be better if you asked your question in Multimedia & Video, or General Help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast