Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Nouveau been problematic for you?

Beans

Has Nouveau been problematic for you?

I'm running an i3 desktop with an Nvidia GT440, using 1920x1080 and 1440x900 monitors. I booted up 13.04 64 bit and within 30 minutes I had three Unity crashes. On one occasion, everything was upside down and locked up. I was just using it and BAM - Chromium, Empathy, and Clementine - upside down. Then they locked up a few seconds later. Two hard reboots later (the first reboot brought me into single monitor mode with a seemingly horrible 640x480 esque resolution), I was back on. At this point I decided to install Nvidia drivers. I didn't want to install Nvidia drivers mostly because I wanted to give Nouveau a fair chance seeing as though some reviews indicated that Nouveau is pretty darn close to Nvidia these days in terms of performance. I installed Nvidia 313 + updates and things load much faster and operate more smoothly. I also noticed that the applications lens when scrolling through all applications is smoother as well.

With all of that being said, has anybody ran into any issues like this where your graphics with 13.04 and Nouveau just acts rather wild? I have a ton of faith in Nouveau and I'm sure bug fixes will come about. I just wanted to check in with other users to see what their current experiences were.
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Nouveau - Has it been problematic for you?

Nouveau works as much as I have used it , but the splash screen looks like a black purple flash so I use Nividia instead. 3.13 has been the best on my hardware and Ive tested them all.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Nouveau works great here.
    I have tried nvidia-current and noticed little difference and switched back to nouveau.

Code:
    glen@Raring:~$ lspci -k | grep -A3 VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti] (rev a1)
    	Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device 351a
    	Kernel driver in use: nouveau

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Nouveau works great here.
    I have tried nvidia-current and noticed little difference and switched back to nouveau.

Code:
    glen@Raring:~$ lspci -k | grep -A3 VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti] (rev a1)
    	Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device 351a
    	Kernel driver in use: nouveau
    What for monitors are you using? I wonder if the screen size I'm dealing with is having a factor. I noticed that Unity effects, such as the dash, scrolling in the application lens, etc., is a bit quicker on the 19" than the main 24"...

Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    What for monitors are you using? I wonder if the screen size I'm dealing with is having a factor. I noticed that Unity effects, such as the dash, scrolling in the application lens, etc., is a bit quicker on the 19" than the main 24"...
    Samsung 22" 1680x1050 native res

In ccsm > unity try disabling Dash blur to see if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by stinkeye; April 18th, 2013 at 05:25 AM.

Beans

If you use gimp you'll notice that the brush will lag painting rapidly on a canvas(will start to lag once you increase the brush size) no issues with the nvidia drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nouveau performs adequately for my needs, and seems stable enough. However, it does not allow my computer to resume properly from suspend, so I use nvidia-313.

Beans
    Distro

Just look at this thread and see just what is the greatest problems, Nouveau or Nvidia?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2133507

I have been using Raring since November. I have only been able to use an Nvidia driver for about 4 weeks. At present I have had to replace Nvidia with Nouveau. I would not recommend anyone installing Ubuntu and bringing in the third party software as that will install a proprietary video driver and that often results in a broken desktop on first reboot. Just look around the posts all over this forum. People install 12.04 or 12.10 and the first reboot = broken system But things worked fine in the live session. And just what is the video driver in the live session? - Nouveau.

So, from my experience I would say the Nvidia drivers and Nouveau drivers have changed places with Nvidia not being as trustworthy as it once was and Nouveau making tremendous improvement.

I would like to add, if you are using Nvidia and get a kernel update, then expect a broken desktop.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; April 18th, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Here , on my two machines with Nvidia it's the other way around. Nouveau with it's limitations and nVidia with full effects.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running 15.10 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Just look at this thread and see just what is the greatest problems, Nouveau or Nvidia?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2133507

I have been using Raring since November. I have only been able to use an Nvidia driver for about 4 weeks. At present I have had to replace Nvidia with Nouveau. I would not recommend anyone installing Ubuntu and bringing in the third party software as that will install a proprietary video driver and that often results in a broken desktop on first reboot. Just look around the posts all over this forum. People install 12.04 or 12.10 and the first reboot = broken system But things worked fine in the live session. And just what is the video driver in the live session? - Nouveau.

So, from my experience I would say the Nvidia drivers and Nouveau drivers have changed places with Nvidia not being as trustworthy as it once was and Nouveau making tremendous improvement.

I would like to add, if you are using Nvidia and get a kernel update, then expect a broken desktop.

Regards.
    I have heard of kernel updates breaking AMD, but never Nvidia, and I've used Ubuntu/Nvidia exclusively since about 2006. Likewise, I haven't personally had an issue with Nvidia. It's always been the safest bet for me, and one I'll blindly go with again due to my success with it, despite the fact it's seemingly opposite of what you mentioned you ran into.

I'm just glad that I can run Unity without it being painfully slow. I couldn't say that with Nouveau (and it pains me to say that since I'm rooting for Nouveau all the way).

EDIT - Another fun fact about Unity being slow, it's significantly faster on my laptop now that I disabled blur via Unity Tweak Tool. Fortunately since I use a custom background color @ 75% transparency it didn't make a visible difference anyway besides speeding things up.
    Last edited by Roasted; April 18th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast