Thread: Gazelle laptop hobbled after Ubuntu reinstall

Beans

Gazelle laptop hobbled after Ubuntu reinstall

Hello--

A few months ago I purchased a Gazelle Professional laptop. I've been very happy with it.

Recently I executed an errant dpkg command that ran roughshod over my system, deleting numerous critical system files. I was left with no choice but to reinstall Ubuntu from DVD. The process was unexpectedly painless, even preserving my home directory, but I'm left with a system that's broken in some important ways:

1. The touchpad is nonresponsive, and remains so even after I press FN+F1.
    2. There's no sound.
    3. When I open the hibernating laptop, the screen flashes briefly, but then remains dark. I have to power-cycle it and log back in to get back to the desktop.
    4. After a minute or so of use, a dialog appears, presenting an important-looking but vague warning: "System program problem detected / Do you want to report the problem now?"

Tips for how to remedy any or all of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Gazelle laptop hobbled after Ubuntu reinstall

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=954734
    this may be of use
    have you been into the sound settings and touchpad settings?
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

So I called the System76 support number and explained my issues. I was told that the most likely scenario was that my Ubuntu DVD had been corrupted as I downloaded and/or burned it, and that I should try again, using a slower burn speed. Also, clicking the "download third party software" checkbox before installing has been known to cause problems, apparently.

Since I had no more blank DVDs at hand, I tried installing again with my original DVD, and incredibly, it worked! That third-party software must be a killer.

The only lingering issue was that swiping the trackpad with two fingers didn't scroll windows as it normally did, but installing the System76 drivers and rebooting restored the usual functionality. I'm back in business!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good to hear you're all good. Thanks for the phone call this morning!
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!