Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia HDMI No Sound

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Nvidia HDMI No Sound

Quote Originally Posted by ppjdee View Post
    So simply updating to the 3.9 kernel will fix most hdmi sound issues with nvidia or ati?
    not sure about ati, there are some intel hdmi issues as well it fixes, no harm is trying it and finding out
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    not sure about ati, there are some intel hdmi issues as well it fixes, no harm is trying it and finding out
    Just rebooted. Seems it fixed it, rocking out to badcompany now lol.
    edit: the script made it so simple thanks.
    Cheers!
    Phenom II X4 955 Denab BE OC 3.8mhz | 8gig G.Skill 1600 RAM | Corsair 750 PSU | XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 | 1TB WD Black HDD Win7 | 160gig WD HDD Ubuntu 13.10
    --Feel like your question has been answered, mark as SOLVED!

Beans

With my alc888 and nvidia gt 218 ob my twitech, your Ubuntu-Mainline-Kernel-Updater worked thanks.

https://github.com/GM-Script-Writer-...Kernel-Updater

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    you are still using the old kernel you have not used the update script made you just installed it
    run these commands
    Code:
    ~$ KernelUpdateChecker -no-rc
    #then run
    ~$ /tmp/kernel-update
    Thank you. This fixed the issue upon restart.

Beans

ok so I tried ubuntu 13.04 rarring ringtail and I got no sound now on my tv which is a hdmi.
    i tryed a new hdmi cabel which was shorter because i guess that might make a problem.
    and then i got a dvd player with hdmi because the man at best buy said that if the hdmi port is bad it wont work with a dvd player but it does so it is a good port.
    then i take my tv down from the wall and put it in the basement where my other computer is the one with windows and i got another hdmi cabel and hooked it up and it worked fine so i put it back upstairs and tryed all 3 hdmi cabels and none of them is working so it must be this sound card right?
    so i went to cincinnati and got a new sound card a pny geforce that is supposed to be really good and put it in.
    so then i got a new download from the ubuntu sight and put it on a new dvd and installed it again and told it to get rid of everything and do a fresh install and whipe away everything else and ut-oh still no sound.
    so then i looked on here and found a lot of people saying it was fixed and so i thot to try this.
    So I read this and it says it is fixed but I can't get it to work.
    there is lots of things posted and then there are edit to the things that are posted and then other things to try and a whole lot of people saying i tried this and then i tried that and then there is another script on the next page with more options and then a hole lot of commands about alsa and more edits to the script.
    all i am getting is 2 same sound cards if i use cat /proc/asound/modules and i don't know how to figure out what is the default.
    and all i get when i install the script (first one or any of the others to.) is that there is a missing file ("operand") and then it says to use --help but that give a hole lot of things about makeing backups and binaries and selinux security
    and all i get when i try KernelUpdateChecker with any of the minuses that are posted is that now its not found.
    so what i want to know is with all the different things on here that is to try, which one is the one to make it fixed? if it is fixed then why are so many different things to try and which ones are the real ones to use.

Beans
    Distro

Here is the kernel update checker install guide:
    https://github.com/GM-Script-Writer-...Updater#readme
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server

Beans

Exclamation Re: Nvidia HDMI [still] No Sound

The script worked very well, and now uname -r returns 3.8.9-030809-generic. (I was worried, because when I tried to perform the upgrade manually yesterday, things did not go as well.)
    To complicate matters, I'm using a network adaptor that is an enormous pain to install and maintain (the dkms instructions have never worked for me), and freezes the machine all too frequently, often beyond the ability of the magic REISUB SysReq magic to force a reboot.
    Thankfully, that's still working (as well as it ever does) after the mainline upgrade and a recompile of the driver.

However, I still have no HDMI volume controls in alsamixer.

aplay -L returns:

Code:
        Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
    sysdefault:CARD=Intel
        HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
        Default Audio Device
    front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        Front speakers
    surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
    surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
    surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
    iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Digital
        IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
    dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        Direct sample mixing device
    dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
    dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        Direct sample snooping device
    dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
    hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        Direct hardware device without any conversions
    hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
    plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        Hardware device with all software conversions
    plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
    hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
        HDMI Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
        HDMI Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
        HDMI Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
        HDMI Audio Output
    dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Running cat /proc/asound/card1/eld#1.0 indicates that's what my TV is plugged into, which corresponds to card 1, device 7 (according to HDMI Audio on NVIDIA GPUs).

alsamixer defaults to card0, but when I use F6 to switch to card1, this is all I get:

Code:
    ┌───────────────────────────── AlsaMixer v1.0.25 ──────────────────────────────┐
    │ Card: HDA NVidia                                     F1:  Help               │
    │ Chip: Nvidia GPU 0b HDMI/DP                          F2:  System information │
    │ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture  F5: All             F6:  Select sound card  │
    │ Item: S/PDIF                                         Esc: Exit               │
    │                                                                              │
    │                                                                              │
    │                       ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐                        │
    │                       │OO│     │OO│     │OO│     │OO│                        │
    │                       └──┘     └──┘     └──┘     └──┘                        │
    │                    < S/PDIF >S/PDIF 1 S/PDIF 2 S/PDIF 3                      │
    └──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
    What am I missing?
    Last edited by brianary; April 29th, 2013 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Correction: aplay returns more, further equivocation about network driver

Beans

Nevermind. Despite the alsamixer, I have sound now.

Beans

Thank you for creating this update script. It has been awhile since the last post but the issue still remains. I encountered an error you may wish to address in the readme. After extracting the script from the .zip archive and trying to run it, it said permission denied. I used chmod +x to correct the issue, but this might be hard to a newbie to figure out. I believe that zip archives do not retain file permissions, you may wish to address that issue in the readme, or remove the .zip entirely and have people use other methods.

After using this script my computer got back to the same state that it was in before I updated. The front left and right speakers work, but the rest of my 5.1 system does not.
    Last edited by tonezone; July 14th, 2013 at 08:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tonezone View Post
    Thank you for creating this update script. It has been awhile since the last post but the issue still remains. I encountered an error you may wish to address in the readme. After extracting the script from the .zip archive and trying to run it, it said permission denied. I used chmod +x to correct the issue, but this might be hard to a newbie to figure out. I believe that zip archives do not retain file permissions, you may wish to address that issue in the readme, or remove the .zip entirely and have people use other methods.

After using this script my computer got back to the same state that it was in before I updated. The front left and right speakers work, but the rest of my 5.1 system does not.
    executable permissions are not required it you use bash/sh in front of the /path/to/script part, these are bash scripts which is how th readme says to do it
    Code:
    chad@M4A79XTD-EVO:/tmp/test$ echo -e '#!'"/bin/bash\necho Hello World" > ./script
    chad@M4A79XTD-EVO:/tmp/test$ bash ./script
    Hello World
    chad@M4A79XTD-EVO:/tmp/test$ ls -l
    total 4
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 chad chad 29 Jul 14 11:51 script

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast