Thread: How to save updates instead of only installing

Beans

How to save updates instead of only installing

Because Xubuntu 11.10 is almost at end of support, how can I save the latest repository of the files to be updated.
    Where can I find some docs about it. In fact it is downloading the updated files and create an own update server.
    So I will be able to reinstall from cd and apply the last set of updates.
    I don need all the files, only what I have installed currently, however, everything would be not too much?
    If a cd is 700 MB and the update 300 MB..
    It would be nice if it was possible to save the downloaded files for later update at least.

I just found this thread, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=updateserver is it still valid ?

Did some search, but it is not easy to do in a quick way.. Would I start with ap-mirror ?
    Last edited by kuifje09; April 17th, 2013 at 10:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: How to save updates instead of only installing

What's so great with Xubuntu 11.10 to be worth such a hassle???

For Ubuntu usually the repositories are kept longer, they are only moved to archive instead of being "available". You can still use them. Of course, they never get more updates.

Also, you can always download and keep all packages with their .deb and install it with dpkg but only if you have all the dependent packages too. So, it's quite a fishing to get all you need including the dependencies.

I see that Xubuntu 12.04 is also a LTS. If you ever reinstall from scratch, why don't you simply install 12.04 LTS. Better than chasing up packages.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Re: How to save updates instead of only installing

Thats fine with me too. I expected them to be erased, so would make my own copy..
    But I can live with that for the moment. Thanks.