Thread: LTS or not for hpc lab

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

LTS or not for hpc lab

Hi. I'm setting up a cluster for some scientific computing, and I'm thinking that Ubuntu would be a good choice of OS (opinions/alternatives are welcome). I'm just wondering if I should use 12.04 (LTS) or the latest release.

It's been a while since I used ubuntu (probably since 8.04, or maybe 9.10, can't remember) and I have a couple questions:

1. If I go with the latest release (e.g. 13.04) how seamless is it to upgrade to the next release when it comes out? I remember usually ending up with a partly broken system when I'd try to upgrade in the past.

2. How much more up-to-date will packages be in the latest release compared to the LTS? How great will the difference be by the time 12.04 runs out of support?

I welcome any other discussion on the matter too. Thanks a bunch for any advice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: LTS or not for hpc lab

I'd suggest that you ask for recommendations on the HPC forums to get better answers. It also matters if your cluster is 3 PCs or 50,000 which solution you should further research.

When it comes to picking any Ubuntu/Mint release, I always choose LTS over "newer" when possible. Other releases only have 18 months of patch support where the LTS gets 5 yrs. That is very important in a long running project. LTS releases tend to be more stable and fewer "alpha level" programs are included. Stability is the primary goal for an LTS, unlike for the mid-LTS releases where Canonical seems to inflict changes on users following their vision, not necessarily what the community desires. The only time I'd select a newer release is when there is something specific in those newer releases that I need. For example, if you have an UEFI BIOS, then 12.04 isn't a good choice, you'd want something newer.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks for your input. The UEFI BIOS is a good point. Is there any other distro you'd suggest maybe?...since the next LTS isn't due for a couple years. I have a feeling that some newer software may be needed. But I guess I could always install that stuff from source (right?).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    if you have an UEFI BIOS, then 12.04 isn't a good choice, you'd want something newer.
    That is no longer an issue. If you get 12.04 on Ubuntu.com you'll be downloading 12.04.4. That version supports UEFI.

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks papibe. Very good to know.