Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compiz fails, no unity, Blank desktop after 13.04 update

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Compiz fails, no unity, Blank desktop after 13.04 update

Hi!,
    On my second day with Raring Ringtail I booted normally and ran the updates, which I think included some for Compiz, and a reboot was requested.

It rebooted to an normal GUI Desktop with chosen background, top panel and greeter login window. Logging in to Ubuntu gave a Blank screen with no panel or launcher; after a pause a window announced the Network was connected.

'Ctrl+Alt+t' gave a terminal and echo $DESKTOP_SESSION gave: "ubuntu".

In the course of many reboots I had several 'System failures' for Compiz and unity-greeter, amongst others.
    Code:
    setsid unity # did nothing
    sudo apt-get install -f # also did nothing
    dpkg-reconfigure -a # gave an interactive display
    ending with a list of what appeared to be Compiz failures or errors.

Rebooting from 'Recovery>Resume Normal Boot' gave the same result, as did 'Ctrl+Alt+F1 startx', or ' lightdm stop' and 'restart'.

Right Clicking on the Desktop gave access to Additional Drivers but the window had no buttons, or menus, nor size function, so I could not tell which version was which, and as I have not installed any video drivers it is running Nouveau on my GT 520 Nvidia card.
    Code:
    apt-cache policy unity # returns:"Installed: 7.0.0daily13.04.15..." So it is not due to that reported Bug.
    In my notes I have a command to reset Compiz, but it is not complete:
    Code:
    dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
    # Edited typo 'reset was omitted here, not in original
    This I got from:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-t...in-ubuntu.html
    But it requires a PATH, either a Key or a Dir, Edit: presumably error was because /org/compiz/ does not exist ??

Would someone please tell me what 'PATH' to add? I have a separate /Home partition.

Or what else to try?

After rebooting and logging in to Gnome Classic(no effects) a normal Desktop resulted, so it is not a video driver problem.Edit: But see later Post.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; April 29th, 2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: note added, reset added to cmd
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Compiz fails, no unity, Blank desktop after 13.04 update

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!,
    On my second day with Raring Ringtail I booted normally and ran the updates, which I think included some for Compiz, and a reboot was requested.

It rebooted to an normal GUI Desktop with chosen background, top panel and greeter login window. Logging in to Ubuntu gave a Blank screen with no panel or launcher; after a pause a window announced the Network was connected.

'Ctrl+Alt+t' gave a terminal and echo $DESKTOP_SESSION gave: "ubuntu".

In the course of many reboots I had several 'System failures' for Compiz and unity-greeter, amongst others.
    Code:
    setsid unity # did nothing
    sudo apt-get install -f # also did nothing
    dpkg-reconfigure -a # gave an interactive display
    ending with a list of what appeared to be Compiz failures or errors.

Rebooting from 'Recovery>Resume Normal Boot' gave the same result, as did 'Ctrl+Alt+F1 startx', or ' lightdm stop' and 'restart'.

Right Clicking on the Desktop gave access to Additional Drivers but the window had no buttons, or menus, nor size function, so I could not tell which version was which, and as I have not installed any video drivers it is running Nouveau on my GT 520 Nvidia card.
    Code:
    apt-cache policy unity # returns:"Installed: 7.0.0daily13.04.15..." So it is not due to that reported Bug.
    In my notes I have a command to reset Compiz, but it is not complete:
    Code:
    dconf -f /org/compiz/
    This I got from:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-t...in-ubuntu.html
    But it requires a PATH, either a Key or a Dir,

Would someone please tell me what 'PATH' to add? I have a separate /Home partition.

Or what else to try?

After rebooting and logging in to Gnome Classic(no effects) a normal Desktop resulted, so it is not a video driver problem.Edit: But see later Post.

Chao!, bogan.

sudo -i dpkg --configure -a

may help and it's

sudo apt-get -f install

not

sudo apt-get install -f

You can also visit this link-

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1970289

regards,
    ventrical

Last edited by ventrical; April 18th, 2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: addendum-link/corrected erroneous sudo command line from sudo dpkg - to sudo -i dpkg

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Compiz fails, no unity, Blank desktop after 13.04 update

Hi!, All,

I also tried:
    Code:
    display:0 compiz --replace # gave "Fatal: couldnt open display2
    gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1 # gave: Warning Client unable toconnect to D-bus daemon, unable to autolaunch D-Bus daemon -
    gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compizconfig-1 # - withoutdisplay for X11
    dpkg-reconfigure compiz-gnome compiz gnome-control-center
    None of these affected the problem. the only change I noted was that the Software & Udates icon was misssing from System Settings.

Both 'dpkg' and 'apt-get install --reinstall compiz-gnome compiz gnome-control-center' gave errors similar to those with gconftool.

Also 'startx' gave the Desktop screen but hung on "Loading extension GLX' , However:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep -i opengl # gave normal output for Nouveau.
    In view of these error messages I installed the 313-updates driver from Additional Drivers, rebooted, and - touch wood - things seem back to normal. 'apt-get install --reinstall compiz-gnome compiz gnome-control-center' no longer gives error messages.

But I would still like an answer to my previous question: What PATH should I add to this command?:
    Code:
    dconf -f /org/compiz/ PATH
    Chao!, bogan. I will give it a few days before marking Solved.
    Last edited by bogan; May 3rd, 2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans

Re: command to reset compiz

You're not missing the path but the command
    Code:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can also restart Unity from unity dash. Press Alt+F2 and type unity, Enter. Same with compiz, Alt+F2 and type compiz --replace, or from terminal:

Code:
    setsid compiz --replace
    Last edited by serdotlinecho; April 18th, 2013 at 02:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    You're not missing the path but the command
    Code:
    Sorry, my typo copying from tty, the 'reset' was in the original, I have edited the Post.

Actual output was :
    Code:
     error: Error spawning command line 'dbus-launch –autolaunch=b76ca......3fb –binary-syntax –close-stderr' : Child process exited with code 1
     Usage: dconf reset [-f] PATH
     Reset a key or dir. -f is required for dirs.
     Arguments:
     PATH         Either a KEY or Dir
     KEY           A key path (starting, but not ending with '/')
     DIR            A directory path  (starting, but and ending with '/')
    But /org/ does not appear to exist in 13.04, so what path should I use ??

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; April 18th, 2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: cmd text added

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, ventrical,

You Posted:
    it's sudo apt-get -f install, not sudo apt-get install -f
    Where did you get this from?

In 'man apt-get', " -f" is shown as equal to "--fix-broken", and I see nothing to suggest the option should, or must be before the command.

There seem to be an endless series of commands all claimed to be to reset Compiz and/or Unity.

Chao!, bogan.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, ventrical,

You Posted:Where did you get this from?

In 'man apt-get', " -f" is shown as equal to "--fix-broken", and I see nothing to suggest the option should, or must be before the command.

There seem to be an endless series of commands all claimed to be to reset Compiz and/or Unity.

Chao!, bogan.
    It appears to work both ways.

I usually load :

sudo apt-get install fvwm-crystal

which is a windows manager that you can log on to from lightdm. I can run ccsm from there and manually setup Unity Plugin. It has always been a good failsafe when Unity or ccsm are in conflict with each other or terminal does not produce the required results.

In development cycle there have always been anomolies with Unity , ccsm and certain video drivers. When all else fails, fvwm-crystal has always been of a great help.

regards,

ventrical

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as bogan after updating Ubuntu 13.04 yesterday; after the required re-boot I was logged in but without a desktop. I have tried the suggestions made by ventrical but they don't help. Doing
    Code:
    dpkg -i --configure -a
    produces an error message
    dpkg: error: conflicting actions (--configure) and -i (--install)
    Has anyone any further suggestions?

At one point I got an error message saying that my hardware may not be supported, but it is relatively new (an Intel i7 processor in an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard with an Nvidia GE Force 9500 Graphics card and 8 GB RAM. It works perfectly with Ubuntu 12.10 and has worked well (so far) apart from a couple of minor hiccups, Ubuntu 13.04 so I am not convinced that my hardware is at fault

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chris62 View Post
    Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as bogan after updating Ubuntu 13.04 yesterday; after the required re-boot I was logged in but without a desktop. I have tried the suggestions made by ventrical but they don't help. Doing
    Code:
    dpkg -i --configure -a
    produces an error message

Has anyone any further suggestions?

At one point I got an error message saying that my hardware may not be supported, but it is relatively new (an Intel i7 processor in an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard with an Nvidia GE Force 9500 Graphics card and 8 GB RAM. It works perfectly with Ubuntu 12.10 and has worked well (so far) apart from a couple of minor hiccups, Ubuntu 13.04 so I am not convinced that my hardware is at fault
    I just retried that command and I got the same error. the 'sudo dpkg -i --configure -a' is used when there has been a broken package during an update or install. Worked great for me during previous installs unless this has been changed also.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast