Thread: Compiz fails, no unity, Blank desktop after 13.04 update

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Compiz fails, no unity, Blank desktop after 13.04 update

Hi!,
    On my second day with Raring Ringtail I booted normally and ran the updates, which I think included some for Compiz, and a reboot was requested.

It rebooted to an normal GUI Desktop with chosen background, top panel and greeter login window. Logging in to Ubuntu gave a Blank screen with no panel or launcher; after a pause a window announced the Network was connected.

'Ctrl+Alt+t' gave a terminal and echo $DESKTOP_SESSION gave: "ubuntu".

In the course of many reboots I had several 'System failures' for Compiz and unity-greeter, amongst others.
    Code:
    setsid unity # did nothing
    sudo apt-get install -f # also did nothing
    dpkg-reconfigure -a # gave an interactive display
    ending with a list of what appeared to be Compiz failures or errors.

Rebooting from 'Recovery>Resume Normal Boot' gave the same result, as did 'Ctrl+Alt+F1 startx', or ' lightdm stop' and 'restart'.

Right Clicking on the Desktop gave access to Additional Drivers but the window had no buttons, or menus, nor size function, so I could not tell which version was which, and as I have not installed any video drivers it is running Nouveau on my GT 520 Nvidia card.
    Code:
    apt-cache policy unity # returns:"Installed: 7.0.0daily13.04.15..." So it is not due to that reported Bug.
    In my notes I have a command to reset Compiz, but it is not complete:
    Code:
    dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
    # Edited typo 'reset was omitted here, not in original
    This I got from:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-t...in-ubuntu.html
    But it requires a PATH, either a Key or a Dir, Edit: presumably error was because /org/compiz/ does not exist ??

Would someone please tell me what 'PATH' to add? I have a separate /Home partition.

Or what else to try?

After rebooting and logging in to Gnome Classic(no effects) a normal Desktop resulted, so it is not a video driver problem.Edit: But see later Post.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; April 29th, 2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: note added, reset added to cmd
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!