Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Compiz fails, no unity, Blank desktop after 13.04 update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Compiz fails, no unity, Blank desktop after 13.04 update

Quote Originally Posted by Chris62 View Post
    Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as bogan after updating Ubuntu 13.04 yesterday; after the required re-boot I was logged in but without a desktop. I have tried the suggestions made by ventrical but they don't help. Doing
    Code:
    dpkg -i --configure -a
    produces an error message

Has anyone any further suggestions?

At one point I got an error message saying that my hardware may not be supported, but it is relatively new (an Intel i7 processor in an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard with an Nvidia GE Force 9500 Graphics card and 8 GB RAM. It works perfectly with Ubuntu 12.10 and has worked well (so far) apart from a couple of minor hiccups, Ubuntu 13.04 so I am not convinced that my hardware is at fault
    'sudo -i dpkg --configure -a' is a valid command:

http://www.ossdoc.com/2012/10/how-to...e-package.html

Why it is not working is beyond me. I can only assume that you actually have to have some broken packages for it to work.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chris62 View Post
    Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as bogan after updating Ubuntu 13.04 yesterday; after the required re-boot I was logged in but without a desktop. I have tried the suggestions made by ventrical but they don't help. Doing
    Code:
    dpkg -i --configure -a
    produces an error message

Has anyone any further suggestions?

At one point I got an error message saying that my hardware may not be supported, but it is relatively new (an Intel i7 processor in an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard with an Nvidia GE Force 9500 Graphics card and 8 GB RAM. It works perfectly with Ubuntu 12.10 and has worked well (so far) apart from a couple of minor hiccups, Ubuntu 13.04 so I am not convinced that my hardware is at fault

My bad ..

it's :

sudo -i dpkg --configure -a

and it is best to run it from {alt+F1} terminal. Not GUI terminal.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

After rebooting and logging in to Gnome Classic(no effects) a normal Desktop resulted, so it is not a video driver problem.Edit: But see later Post.
    Does Gnome classic use Compiz as the compositing manager?

Here is my tuppenny worth (2 cents worth) to solving this.

Right click the desktop and select Change Desktop Background. When System Settings opens click Software & Updates and at the Additional Drivers tab de-activate the Nvidia driver and activate the Nouveau driver. Then run
    Code:
    dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
    and reboot.

It works for me. The error message about an incorrect path is due to not having a forward slash at the front and at the end. Try it with
    Code:
    deconf dump /org/compiz
    and
    Code:
    deconf dump /org/compiz/
    which one gives the error message?

During the Raring development cycle I have only been able to use the Nvidia drivers for about 4 weeks without them breaking something. I tried three of the available Nvidia drivers and I got the same problem but with Nouveau things work just fine.

Oh, by the way, the changes (improvements?) to Unity since 12.04 mean that reset options that work in 12.04 do not work in 12.10 and now it seems that different reset options are needed for 13.04. I just hope that if the development branch does eventually become the replacement of interim releases that someone thinks of informing us development branch users of these changes to the code.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away then they came to stay... in the form of an update that broke unity, and compiz and did a lot of no good to Open GL I've tried every fix I could think of a lot of them detailed here. yesterday there was an update that took a fairly well working 13.04 B2 to a completely broken one, its absolutely shocking that this sort of thing is going on at this stage of development. I reinstalled the B2 and its a bit buggy still but works more or less; the kind of thing you'd expect from a A1 or 2 build. However, I did just downed and burned the latest daily build to test out; and unity and compiz don't work even running it from DVD. Here's this afternoons error report...really its a problem ..I don't think so it works unlike the updated version.

The problem cannot be reported: ...you don’t say!

You have some obsolete package versions installed. Please upgrade the following packages and check if the problem still occurs:

update-notifier, apport, apport-gtk, apt, apt-utils, at-spi2-core, binutils, gdb, gir1.2-atk-1.0, gir1.2-gtk-3.0, glib-networking, glib-networking-common, glib-networking-services, libappindicator3-1, libapt-inst1.5, libapt-pkg4.12, libatk-bridge2.0-0, libatk1.0-0, libatk1.0-data, libatspi2.0-0, libcups2, libgail-3-0, libgl1-mesa-dri, libglib2.0-0, libglib2.0-data, libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0, libgstreamer1.0-0, libgtk-3-0, libgtk-3-bin, libgtk-3-common, libgudev-1.0-0, libindicator3-7, libpci3, libpython-stdlib, libpython2.7, libpython2.7-minimal, libpython2.7-stdlib, libpython3-stdlib, libpython3.3-minimal, libpython3.3-stdlib, libudev1, passwd, pciutils, perl, perl-base, perl-modules, python, python-gi, python-minimal, python2.7, python2.7-minimal, python3, python3-apport, python3-distupgrade, python3-gi, python3-minimal, python3-problem-report, python3-update-manager, python3.3, python3.3-minimal, shared-mime-info, tar, ubuntu-release-upgrader-core, ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk, udev, update-manager, update-manager-core, update-notifier, update-notifier-common

Have the guys writing this ever considered working for Microsoft, what have you guys been smoking. Its up for final release in 7 days and the desktop environment is broken! Coding by the Fabulous furry freak brothers!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Horizon View Post
    Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away then they came to stay... in the form of an update that broke unity, and compiz and did a lot of no good to Open GL I've tried every fix I could think of a lot of them detailed here. yesterday there was an update that took a fairly well working 13.04 B2 to a completely broken one, its absolutely shocking that this sort of thing is going on at this stage of development. I reinstalled the B2 and its a bit buggy still but works more or less; the kind of thing you'd expect from a A1 or 2 build. However, I did just downed and burned the latest daily build to test out; and unity and compiz don't work even running it from DVD. Here's this afternoons error report...really its a problem ..I don't think so it works unlike the updated version.

The problem cannot be reported: ...you don’t say!

You have some obsolete package versions installed. Please upgrade the following packages and check if the problem still occurs:

update-notifier, apport, apport-gtk, apt, apt-utils, at-spi2-core, binutils, gdb, gir1.2-atk-1.0, gir1.2-gtk-3.0, glib-networking, glib-networking-common, glib-networking-services, libappindicator3-1, libapt-inst1.5, libapt-pkg4.12, libatk-bridge2.0-0, libatk1.0-0, libatk1.0-data, libatspi2.0-0, libcups2, libgail-3-0, libgl1-mesa-dri, libglib2.0-0, libglib2.0-data, libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0, libgstreamer1.0-0, libgtk-3-0, libgtk-3-bin, libgtk-3-common, libgudev-1.0-0, libindicator3-7, libpci3, libpython-stdlib, libpython2.7, libpython2.7-minimal, libpython2.7-stdlib, libpython3-stdlib, libpython3.3-minimal, libpython3.3-stdlib, libudev1, passwd, pciutils, perl, perl-base, perl-modules, python, python-gi, python-minimal, python2.7, python2.7-minimal, python3, python3-apport, python3-distupgrade, python3-gi, python3-minimal, python3-problem-report, python3-update-manager, python3.3, python3.3-minimal, shared-mime-info, tar, ubuntu-release-upgrader-core, ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk, udev, update-manager, update-manager-core, update-notifier, update-notifier-common

Have the guys writing this ever considered working for Microsoft, what have you guys been smoking. Its up for final release in 7 days and the desktop environment is broken! Coding by the Fabulous furry freak brothers!
    Thanks for the heads up. There were a few times I was the canary in the cage
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, grahammechanical,

Thanks for the insight, but I already knew that the PATH had to have forward slashes fore & aft. The original code did have both slashes.

The same code:
    Code:
    dconf rest -f /org/compiz/
    no longer gives an error, but the assumed expected output.

What I do not understand is the "/org/" bit. Nautilus does not show it as folder, but somehow 'dconf' finds it.

'man dconf>dump' shows only "DIR" as an Argument, not "PATH", though confusingly it desribes it as : " A directory path (starting and ending with '/')"

Of couse, both your "deconf dump" test codes give errors, but that is from the 'deconf" typo. Presumably, without the '/' suffix it would be a "KEY", whatever that means.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Just chiming in to let you know I have the same problem. I have been running Ubuntu 13.04 daily build for over a month without issues at all. Yesterday I ran software updater, it required a reboot when finished so I rebooted and it would stop right before the login screen. I entered tty logged in and ran command "startx" which brought me to the desktop but nothing was there other than my wallpaper. No launcher, panels or anything. Nothing worked at all.

I messed with it for about an hour before deciding to re-install. After re-install everything was fine until I updated, then ran into the same exact problem. I decided to wait until today to download a newer daily build. Threw it on a flash drive and booted it...same thing. Once I log in nothing is there just the wallpaper. No commands work, nothing will run. I'm not sure what got screwed up, but something in this latest update has broken Ubuntu 13.04. I triple boot Ubuntu, Mint 14 Xfce and Debian sid so I'll wait til later or tomorrow to try the next daily build to see if the problem is fixed. Hopefully it will be since the final release is a week away. Funny how it doesn't screw up until right before release...lol.

Beans
    Distro

I just updated (compiz settings and all) and there have been no adverse effects.
    This is Rolling Release

Beans

If you revert your version of Compiz and OpenGL to an older version it works, well it appears to work since I'm talking on it right now, I have just reinstalled the B2 for the 3rd time today. Before reinstall I ran the dreaded update, however, I de selected compiz config centre and unity worked but anything using OpenGl like cairo dock and screenlets just didn't start then I rebooted and it crashed on login so I reinstalled and used an older Compiz seems to be working fine for the moment. just notice some graphics corruption problems on drop down menus. no error messages coming up though.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I just updated (compiz settings and all) and there have been no adverse effects.
    Same here. Must be hardware specific. Mind you this is a clean install from alpha. So clean home. No odd configs left over.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast