Thread: Do I need 2 partitions?

Beans

Do I need 2 partitions?

Greetings from The Newbie!

Being fairly new to Ubuntu, I want to be sure not to miss any docs/music/files, when I mess up my Ubuntu 12.04
    I’m quite good at keeping my Win7 computers alive - but have absolutely no idea how to rescue a broken Ubuntu installation!

So Im think it would give me a "life-line," if I could have 2 partitions on my favourite laptop with Ubuntu!

Can I use a "partition tool" to create a "safe-area" for my docs? - and if (when), I get my OS fuxx-up, then I can reinstall Ubuntu on "the OS partition" - right??????

Thanks in advance!
    Steen
    Last edited by Malmberg; April 24th, 2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: language

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Do I need 2 partitions?

during installation in manual partitioning mode you can create separate partition for /home, which is where all userspace stuff is. It allows for easy reinstallation of the core system parts in 10 minutes without touching user data. During reinstall you simply point /home to the partition in question and that's it, just make sure 'format' checkbox is disabled.
    Another quite common setup that allows for easy sharing between windows and ubuntu in dual boot setup is to create an ordinary NTFS partition where all the good stuff goes.
    That said, always have a backup of things you can't afford to lose. Simple hardware failure can happen too.
    Last edited by Vaphell; April 17th, 2013 at 08:26 PM.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    That said, always have a backup of things you can't afford to lose. Simple hardware failure can happen too.
    Second That!
    Free 5GB of Cloud space + extra 5GB using this link https://copy.com?r=A0im67

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Yes, maintain backups. And yes, a separate partition for your /home directory will achieve what you want. I set up my installs that way, and it has helped me immensely.

What a separate /home partition will not do is keep track of programs you have installed manually after setting up the system. What it does do is retain the configuration files, so if you have to re-install, when you re-install a program, the config file for it should still be there.
    Michael

Beans

Gents - Thanks,
    Ill start with a back-up , and then give GParted a try!
    Cheers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Malmberg View Post
    Gents - Thanks,
    Ill start with a back-up , and then give GParted a try!
    Cheers
    Malmberg, I can assure you that you'll be glad you set up a separate partition for your /home directory.

The adoption of a separately partioned /home directory is, IMHO, the best single piece of advice I received after I first started experimenting with Linux 10 years or so ago.

Good luck with your installation!

Beans

Well, I did something stupid (again)
    I did try to follow one of the very good instructions How To Move Your /Home Folder To New Partition!

This went just so wrong / I ended up with having a problem when the laptop boots - cant find my /home folder

So I think I need to start all over again!

Cheers