Thread: Reinstall Ubuntu with Existing Home Partition?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Reinstall Ubuntu with Existing Home Partition?

Want to Reinstall Ubuntu 12.04 with my Existing Home Partition? Keeping all my Stuff om Home partition safe. I will do Backup of Home to make sure that everything is Safe. From what Understand the Process is to Select Manual Partition in Install & select Home Partition But not to Format it? Am i Right? Can 2 Root Partitions use the same Home Partition? Sorry if i am Re-posting a question might have already been answered. Any help is Appreciated Thanks
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Reinstall Ubuntu with Existing Home Partition?

Yes, you use Something Else or manual partitioning and choose the existing /home partition but DO NOT format it.

It is primarily to do an upgrade. Newer software may have settings that older versions do not recognize. Some with same version or very similar versions have shared /home, but most use a different userID or name so you do not have the same data nor settings.

I do not share /home but have separate data partitions which I do share. Then I do not have to worry about settings from one system changing another system.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.