Thread: trouble playing files in vlc through terminal

Hybrid View

Beans

Exclamation trouble playing files in vlc through terminal

i am trying to open video files through vlc i used the following command

adarsh@ubuntu:/media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip$ vlc Inglourious Basterds.mp4

it opens vlc but nothing plays and a vlc error window opens with this message :

File reading failed:

VLC could not open the file "/media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/Inglourious". (No such file or directory)
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/Inglourious'. Check the log for details.
    File reading failed:
    VLC could not open the file "/media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/Basterds.mp4". (No such file or directory)
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/Basterds.mp4'. Check the log for details.

the following errors are also displayed in the terminal screen :

VLC media player 2.0.5 Twoflower (revision 2.0.5-0-g1661b7d)
    [0x905b188] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    [0xb0800bc8] filesystem access error: cannot open file /media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/Inglourious (No such file or directory)
    [0xb5300618] main input error: open of `file:///media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/Inglourious' failed
    [0xb08011e8] filesystem access error: cannot open file /media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/Basterds.mp4 (No such file or directory)
    [0xb5303a60] main input error: open of `file:///media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/Basterds.mp4' failed
    adarsh@ubuntu:/media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip$ vlc Inglourious Basterds.mp4
    VLC media player 2.0.5 Twoflower (revision 2.0.5-0-g1661b7d)
    [0x88c9188] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    [0xb0900bc8] filesystem access error: cannot open file /media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/Inglourious (No such file or directory)
    [0xb5400618] main input error: open of `file:///media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/Inglourious' failed
    [0xb09011e8] filesystem access error: cannot open file /media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/Basterds.mp4 (No such file or directory)
    [0xb5403a60] main input error: open of `file:///media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/Basterds.mp4' failed

any help will be appreciated thanx in advance

Beans

Re: trouble playing files in vlc through terminal

spaces!!!

Solutions:

1) double quotes around the filename
    2) \ before space
    3) type "vlc Ing" (without quotes), and press TAB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There are also some variations in your spelling which might be adding to your problems, even after you use the double quotes or escape marks in the file name.

The simplest way with such names, ie long names or those including spaces is to use tab completion by starting to type the name and then hitting tab.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by adarshraghu View Post

it opens vlc but nothing plays and a vlc error window opens with this message :

File reading failed:

VLC could not open the file "/media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/Inglourious". (No such file or directory)
    The file name contains a space, either enclose it in quote or escape the special charaters, eg
    Code:
    vlc "file with space.mp4" #or
    vlc file\ with\ space.mp4
    Adding a "\" before a special charater such as a space or quotation marks tells the system to take the following character literally, and not process it.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

find|grep -i

cd to folder where file is

Code:
    cd   /media/adarsh/movies/IngloriousBastards_720P_H264_BDRip/     &&  vlc *         

or if your file has spaces or is really long find a unique part of the name and run that between **

example:

i have a file named
    World_Routes_-_A_Night_Out_in_Joliette_b01bzqq6_default.flv
    in my Music folder so

Code:
    cd Music && vlc *oliette*
    will start it

=======================

another way:

run
    Code:
     find|grep -i Inglourious
    and copy the line where you see your file

Code:
     vlc  "lineyoufoundyourfileon"
    "" only needed if there are gaps in the line
    Last edited by shantiq; April 18th, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

Either use Tab to show the full file name or go to the movie directory and type command "vlc *"

Anandu
    www.ananduvr.com