Thread: HDMI Audio only working while changing volume on TV (HDCP Problem?)

Beans

HDMI Audio only working while changing volume on TV (HDCP Problem?)

Hello Ubuntu-Forums,

i'm a fresh ubuntu-user, english is not my native tongue (so ... sorry for ... eventual errors)
    and I ran into a very puzzling problem wirth both ubuntu 12.10 and ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Problem: HDMI-Audio is not working (in a strange way)

Setup: Celeron 1610 and ASRock H77m, onboard sound (and grafic), Audio(and video) via HDMI to a Samsung Flat-TV

Sound is working under Win7 without any issues, under Ubuntu it is not.
    The Hardware is recognized, HDMI-output is configured.

But there is still no sound, the analog-audio is working, but not the hdmi-audio.

The strange behavoior I mentioned is the following:

If I change the volume at the TV (yes, indeed, the TV, not the PC) I get a fracture of a second long the pc-sound, than it is gone
    again, when a change the volume again, ... I have sound for another fracture of a second .

Is there some known compatibility-problem with the hdmi-audio? I would guess ... something with the HDCP?

It looks like I get sound, but it is blocked somehow, it is lifted when I change the volume and than the block (hdcp?) kicks in again.

Any ideas how to fix this?

With kind regards,

Hirnworschd

Edit: My screen turns /purple/red sometimes when i start ubuntu.
    Tried opensuse 12.3 ... hdmi works,no problems, under mageia 3.3.6 I had (probably) the same issues.

Edit 2: Ubuntu 13.04 fixed the issue for me, probably the newer kernel helped, not sure.
    Last edited by Hirnwoschd; May 3rd, 2013 at 11:20 AM.