Thread: Black screen after installing nvidia drivers-please read as I've researched this alot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Black screen after installing nvidia drivers-please read as I've researched this alot

Hi all,

I'm using Backtrack v5r3 64bit Gnome (please don't close the thread as I feel that this prevalent issue may be encountered by us vanilla ubuntu guys at one stage!).

I've reconfigured the xorg.conf file after trying to carry out instructions as per http://www.n1tr0g3n.com/?p=2953 thread.

That is, download the latest drivers from nvidia.com, editing nouveau update initramfs AND the second post:

That is, blacklist tonnes of unwanted drivers, purge remove nvidia add x-swat apt-get install nvidia-current etc.etc., nvidia-xconfig

Finally I've tried (amongst many other things) the changes to grub as per http://insidetrust.blogspot.co.uk/20...-graphics.html

That is, added i915.modeset=1 with no joy.

I used to get 'screens not found error', (before reconfiguring my xorg.conf since it didn't reflect the proper PCI bus ID), but now I simply get a black screen with a cursor whereupon it hangs for ever.

I can still ctrl-alt-f1 to get to the loading process (which I can terminate), or ctrl-alt-f8 which states something about read-only and making write only in recovery mode.

What I need is someone experienced to troubleshoot this as my system is responsive so I don't feel that it's a grave error, and not advice to "reinstall" or "not to use the OS" or "follow this guide!!!" because I've followed them all! (and read an entire book about ubuntu)

Thanks a lot!

razaz03

Beans
    Distro

Re: Black screen after installing nvidia drivers-please read as I've researched this

as an update I can remove the xorg.conf file and the system boots with no problems, but when I lsmod, there are no drivers for video (or any nvidia drivers at all it seems)!

Beans

Re: Black screen after installing nvidia drivers-please read as I've researched this

you may want to run 'lspci | grep VGA instead.

I got the black screen after login as well. I would be able to hit the lightdm login screen fine yesterday, but then after authenticating, I would get the black screen and cursor. I reinstalled the nvidia drivers, and such, but ultimately, I think I fixed it by deleting the /home/<user>/.Xauthority file. I had finally realized that it was something to do with my user home folder after stumbling across the /home/<user>/.xsession-errors file.

So, you might want to try that - deleting the /home/<user>/.Xauthority file and see if that fixes it. I had also cleaned out the ~/.compiz/sessions directory contents as well, but I don't think that solved my issue.

**EDIT: better yet, run "dmesg | grep VGA" . You might actually be using the nouveau driver.
    Last edited by midnightramen; April 19th, 2013 at 02:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by midnightramen View Post
    you may want to run 'lspci | grep VGA instead.

I got the black screen after login as well. I would be able to hit the lightdm login screen fine yesterday, but then after authenticating, I would get the black screen and cursor. I reinstalled the nvidia drivers, and such, but ultimately, I think I fixed it by deleting the /home/<user>/.Xauthority file. I had finally realized that it was something to do with my user home folder after stumbling across the /home/<user>/.xsession-errors file.

So, you might want to try that - deleting the /home/<user>/.Xauthority file and see if that fixes it. I had also cleaned out the ~/.compiz/sessions directory contents as well, but I don't think that solved my issue.

**EDIT: better yet, run "dmesg | grep VGA" . You might actually be using the nouveau driver.

I deleted the Xauthority file and dmesg grep vga returns VESA VGA frame buffer device, with no joy. Please help! (or tell me where to go to get some!)