Thread: are design patterns useful for a compiler design?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

are design patterns useful for a compiler design?

Hello everyone.

I will be taking a compiler design class this coming fall. I know that compilers are hard in general, so I want to be prepared for it. I have heard of design patterns but never used them. My understanding is that they can help in the design of the software. Do you guys think it will be helpful for me to learn some of those patterns, and if you do then which ones I should learn, which would be the most helpful patterns?

Any help is appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: are design patterns useful for a compiler design?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    l was mostly asking which patterns would be the most useful. Do you know which ones I should look at?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

IMHO, you should at least take a look at Creational (CategoryCreationalPatterns), Structural (CategoryStructuralPatterns) and Behavioral (CategoryBehavioralPatterns).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    IMHO, you should at least take a look at Creational (CategoryCreationalPatterns), Structural (CategoryStructuralPatterns) and Behavioral (CategoryBehavioralPatterns).
    That's all the patterns on the page you have provided. Which ones from each category would be the most useful?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cybo View Post
    That's all the patterns on the page you have provided. Which ones from each category would be the most useful?
    All of them.

Thing is, since basically what a compiler does is to translate (or compile) a program written in a high-level programming language that is suitable for human programmers into the low-level machine language that is required by computers (during this process, the compiler will also attempt to spot and report obvious programmer mistakes), I really think it would be advisable for you to approach them all.

Creational Patterns for instance, groups patterns that parameterize the behavior of a system based on the classes of objects it creates. Or, more simply put, patterns for dynamically selecting the class of objects to create.
    Structural Patterns use various language mechanisms for structuring code and assembling objects.
    Lastly, Behavioral Patterns based on class tend to use inheritance to describe algorithms and flow of control, whereas the behavioral patterns that target objects usually describe how a group of objects collaborate to perform some task that no single object can perform alone.

Beans

While design patterns are useful to know because you'll come across them all the time, I don't think it's going to help you that much for a compiler course, especially if you're just learning now. Knowing when to apply which pattern can be tricky business, and you have a good chance of overcomplicating things and missing the main lessons from compilers.

Beans
    Hidden!

I guess some understanding of what lexical analyzers are and how they work may be helpful. E.g. see this quick flex tutorial.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The most important aspect of a design pattern is the motivation for using it. If you don't have the problem it exists to solve, there's no point applying it. I've seen many cases where design patterns are used only because the designer or programmer thinks they should be using a design pattern.

For compiler writing, I'd follow on from schragge's suggestion and say that the compiler writing tools are more important: lex/flex, yacc/bison and a basic understanding of grammars. Also state machines, recursive descent parsers and hash tables. You should research all of these things and find tutorials. IMO these things will be more important for the specific task of compiler writing than design patterns per se.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cybo View Post
    Hello everyone.

I will be taking a compiler design class this coming fall. I know that compilers are hard in general, so I want to be prepared for it. I have heard of design patterns but never used them. My understanding is that they can help in the design of the software. Do you guys think it will be helpful for me to learn some of those patterns, and if you do then which ones I should learn, which would be the most helpful patterns?

Any help is appreciated.
    The hard part in compiler design isn't the "object" part. Compilers antedate the "Design patterns" books by about 40 years... Better get acquainted with language grammars.