Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shared Folders Error in 13.04 - VMware Tools 9.2.3 - vmhgfs problem

Beans

Shared Folders Error in 13.04 - VMware Tools 9.2.3 - vmhgfs problem

After installing VMware Tools without a problem, when I run the vmware-config-tools.pl script there is an error when trying to build/load the vmhgfs driver. The gcc, binutils and make modules are installed. (See error messages below.)

Since the driver is not loaded, the Shared Folders option does not work. Any ideas how to solve this problem?

(There are no problems when running Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 in the same setup of Vmplayer 5.02 with Vmware Tools 9.2.3.)

System Info:
    Windows 7 host, Ubuntu 13.04 32 bit Guest - Daily build: 16 April 2013, VMware Tools 9.2.3

Code:
    /tmp/modconfig-5e6o62/vmhgfs-only/inode.c: In function ‘HgfsTruncatePages’:
    /tmp/modconfig-5e6o62/vmhgfs-only/inode.c:888:4: error: implicit declaration of function ‘vmtruncate’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/modconfig-5e6o62/vmhgfs-only/inode.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/modconfig-5e6o62/vmhgfs-only] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-18-generic'
    make: *** [vmhgfs.ko] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/modconfig-5e6o62/vmhgfs-only'

The filesystem driver (vmhgfs module) is used only for the shared folder 
    feature. The rest of the software provided by VMware Tools is designed to work 
    independently of this feature.

If you wish to have the shared folders feature, you can install the driver by 
    running vmware-config-tools.pl again after making sure that gcc, binutils, make
    and the kernel sources for your running kernel are installed on your machine. 
    These packages are available on your distribution's installation CD.
    [ Press Enter key to continue ]
    Last edited by cariboo907; April 17th, 2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Normalize font, and add code tags

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Shared Folders Error in 13.04 - VMware Tools 9.2.3 - vmhgfs problem

sudo apt-get install linux-source

Beans

Thanks for the advice to run the command: sudo apt-get install linux-source

I have tried it, but it did not work first time, the error is still present.

Next week I shall do all the updates and try again: This is after all only a Daily Build and therefore a work in progress.

Beans

Same error. Also tried the command to install linux-source and the error is still there.

System info:
    Windows 8 64-bit host, ubuntu 13.04 64-bit 25.april.2013 release and vmware workstation 9.0.2.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ONEoo7 View Post
    System info:
    Windows 8 64-bit host, ubuntu 13.04 64-bit 25.april.2013 release and vmware workstation 9.0.2.
    Same environment, same error. Let's hope for a fix to come out soon.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Maybe its a missing driver builtin the kernel; in such a case file a report : ubuntu-bug linux

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...system-948384/

Beans

Just found an alternative to be able to mount shared folders:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install open-vm-tools
    sudo mount -t vmhgfs .host:/ /mnt/hgfs

Beans

It works @bgcngm. Thanks

Beans

I was now trying to edit fstab to get it mounted on boot. Already tried adding the following line to /etc/fstab, but no luck:

Code:
    .host:/ /mnt/hgfs vmhgfs defaults 0 0

Beans

I just wanted to chime in and confirm the problem. About a day after 13.04 released, I upgraded my Kubuntu vmware guest from 12.10 to 13.04. When installing tools using the tar installer, the vmhgfs module refuses to build. The error is identical to what is mentioned above.

A full text of the install process is here.

I've also posted this question in VMWare forums, and Kubuntu forums. I assume this is the result of changes to the kernel, and that a fix would have to come from VMWare, so that's where I started. I haven't gotten any response in 3 days though. I would have expected more people to be affected by this.

I considered switching to openvm-tools...but I was concerned that the filesharing functions might not be present..or might just be weird. I would prefer to use the vmware UI to adjust share settings and have it auto mount without having to mess with fstab myself. I also do not want to install the drag and drop file copying thing..as it is a big steaming pile of crud. On the brief occasion I did have it active, I would accidentally drag an icon over the vm windows and have to sit and wait for several minutes while it "prepared to copy", which from what I can tell...it basically transfers the file at this time. Only after the long wait can i decline to copy/move.

As you can see in the text I provided..all the required components are installed, including gcc, make, binutils, and current kernel headers. All of them are detected properly. All the other components seems to build successfully, except vmhgfs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast