Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A newcomer's thoughts

Beans

Red face A newcomer's thoughts

Hello to all,

I recently made the transition to Ubuntu 12.10. I converted from Windows Vista on my wife's and my computers. I now have a 64 bit computer (had 64 bit architecture running at 32 bit under Vista) while my wife has 32 bit. We both love Linux and are spreading the word about the user friendliness for Windows users who may be inclined to switch. We are both delighted with the stability, security and efficiency of Ubuntu. One issue was that my Canon printer was not supportable. (No big deal. I am giving it to my sister. I purchased a HP compatible printer that worked right out of the box. This conversion to Ubuntu has saved us some big money over MS upgrades plus it has given my wife's older computer new life. I have some tech background but my wife has no real computer skills so it is great how easily she has taken to Ubuntu. I really want to learn as much as possible about Ubuntu, especially use of the command line. Just want to say thanks to the Ubuntu community. All the suggestions and fixes I have got from the community have been immensly helpful. I hope I learn enough to someday make my own contributions to newcomers. Best wishes to all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A newcomer's thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by DEllsberg View Post
    Hello to all,

I recently made the transition to Ubuntu 12.10. I converted from Windows Vista on my wife's and my computers. I now have a 64 bit computer (had 64 bit architecture running at 32 bit under Vista) while my wife has 32 bit. We both love Linux and are spreading the word about the user friendliness for Windows users who may be inclined to switch. We are both delighted with the stability, security and efficiency of Ubuntu. One issue was that my Canon printer was not supportable. (No big deal. I am giving it to my sister. I purchased a HP compatible printer that worked right out of the box. This conversion to Ubuntu has saved us some big money over MS upgrades plus it has given my wife's older computer new life. I have some tech background but my wife has no real computer skills so it is great how easily she has taken to Ubuntu. I really want to learn as much as possible about Ubuntu, especially use of the command line. Just want to say thanks to the Ubuntu community. All the suggestions and fixes I have got from the community have been immensly helpful. I hope I learn enough to someday make my own contributions to newcomers. Best wishes to all.
    Welcome aboard

For beginners please find the link to Ubuntu Pocket guide in my signature. Its the best guide for beginners and will give you a solid base to learn advanced topics.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

aside from Ubuntu pocket guide which is good but a bitdated i suggest the help pages and community made Ubuntu manual (link in my signature).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Hi, DEllsberg. Be very welcome to the forums.

Some other resources you could try:
    New Docs. It's a alphabetical listing within a Contents Wiki for available Community Ubuntu Documentation. It was created by a forum contributor, BlinkinCat.
    External Guides
    Command Line Learning Resources

As a printed book, you have the Official Ubuntu Book.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory response.
    Linux user #556334 | Ubuntu user #35168

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Glad you're here, and glad to hear your experience has been quite successful.
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans

Thanks much.

Beans

Good stuff. I had a lot of trouble with a Canon printer myself, thankfully it eventually died and put me out of its misery.

Beans

One issue was that my Canon printer was not supportable.
    can we ask you which Canon printer you had? There can be drivers available if one knows where to look .....do let us know the model number..

Beans

Welcome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast