Thread: Linux Mint won't recognize sound card's inputs

Beans

Linux Mint won't recognize sound card's inputs

I have an old sound card, exactly like this one here, and I ever since I switched to Linux I've never been able to get the inputs to work.
    I was able to see them with Ubuntu 12.04, but wasn't able to get any sound through them. Now, with Linux Mint 13, I can only see some of the inputs (using Audacity), and can get a popping noise of sorts from one them, but that's about it.
    Do any of you have any idea of what's wrong (besides it being an old sound card), and any ideas on how to fix it?
    Last edited by Ender Shadow; April 20th, 2013 at 10:10 PM.
    "The difference between Linux and Windows is that with Linux you're in the driver's seat, but with Windows, Microsoft is driving...and you're tied up and locked in the trunk."
    -Gster4

Beans

Re: Linux Mint won't recognize sound card's inputs

Beans

Thanks, man. I'll try what was suggested in that thread.
    "The difference between Linux and Windows is that with Linux you're in the driver's seat, but with Windows, Microsoft is driving...and you're tied up and locked in the trunk."
    -Gster4

Beans

Alright, qjackctl got the inputs working (kind of), but I'm having trouble recording from them. Audacity skips random frames while its recording, which isn't exactly ideal.
    As for the inputs...I haven't yet isolated all of the problems with them, so I'll have to let you know later.
    -Gster4

Beans

Qjackctl refuses to work now, so I would be back to square one, except that the inputs work fine on another account, so mine must be set up differently...hopefully I'll figure out what the difference is.
    -Gster4

Beans

Copy the config files across maybe.

Beans

I fixed it. All I had to do was, in the hardware tab of the sound preferences, switch my sound card profile from "Analog Stereo Output" to "Analog Stereo Duplex." I don't know why I didn't notice that sooner (although there were quite a few profile options).
    I got Audacity to work (briefly); it was monitoring the sound and letting me listen to it while it was doing so, but as soon as I tried to record, Audacity spazzed out, and now it won't let me record. Oh, well, at least the inputs work now.

EDIT: Now how do I mark this thread as "Solved"?
    -Gster4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi,

Here's how to mark thread as solved,

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Ahh, I see. Thanks!
    -Gster4