Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Never Going Back to Windows

Beans

Re: Never Going Back to Windows

I am on a path to never go back - it seems there are two camps though - one camp are those of us that have little or no problems with Linux and can pretty much do what ever we need to as well or better than with Windows. The other camp seems to have struggles and Linux has been a nightmare and/or they can't do the things that they are used to doing or need to do.

I have had a few problems with Ubuntu but nothing that was not pretty easily dealt with though. That said I have been messing with Windows since Win95 and I have had my share of issues and problems to the point I developed a love/hate relationship with the OS. Add the bloatware, security and cost I am ready to move on and Linux has finally evolved to the point that it seems to work for me.

Bottom line - so far so good - and I am enjoying Ubuntu maybe because it's new and fresh for me.
    Last edited by Iowan; May 9th, 2013 at 11:45 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Me 2, although I lost my very addictive MMORPG which I'm not able to install and run having tried for months with wine and virtualbox, I gave up and still happy with my choice!! For years I have been installing Ubuntu and always had some hardware compatibility problems due to lack of driver support such as ATI Radeon graphic cards Since 12.04 came out I completely banished ******* from my house!! Honestly, I had loads of fun while trying to install/run/make compatible a bunch of software. I didn't had that much fun with an OS since MSdos and windows 3.1 If I could run back time, I would have grown on Linux and acquired some more programming experience instead of having to translate "Chinese" while reading some information!!

I also wish never to go back!!! Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I want to add my 2c wirth Microsoft forcing this new win 8 onto people I am going to jump.
    I have been using Ubuntu for a long time mostly server side with a friend I call a linux guru
    I have now loaded 12.04 LTS on a Dell XPS630i in the past I had a few issues with graphics not this time round system runs like a dream. (I did the distribution upgrade to 13.04)
    I have moved all my windows stuff over, have used Mozilla for years so the change is not big. I have left the win 7 on the other disk as the only time I plan to use is to play flight Sim X
    I will keep looking for alternatives to programs I used in windows.

Go Ubuntu!

Beans

I switched to Ubuntu about 9 months ago and haven't looked back. I had tried Linux in the past and had found the typical problems with finding a driver or understanding commands. Ubuntu is way different than that. Everything worked when I installed it. Not to be critical of folks, but in the past, a newbie looking for help was often met with a Linux geek who did the message board equivalent of rolling their eyes. Ubuntu is different. Help - and I didn't need much of it since everything pretty well worked right out of the box - is now seems to geared for the layman. My PC is dual boot because my daugther has I-tunes on it, but she's getting ready to go off to college so she'll move that to her MacBook. I use Virtual Box if I have to have something that runs under Windows. But that isn't much.

For the majority of PC users running Windows and all they do is surf the net and read e-mails - not into big time gaming or is tethered to Quicken - they could use Ubuntu and never know the difference. Well....except that they wouldn't be getting a ton of viruses DESPITE clicking on every link they see.
    Last edited by kcflyer; May 4th, 2013 at 11:17 PM.

Beans

I only have ubuntu on my laptop too, it's a good choice

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234