Thread: Laptop Power Management?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Laptop Power Management?

Hey guys, I've largely restricted using Ubuntu to my desktop as it is my main PC, but now I have installed it on my laptop as well for use when I am not at home. I plan to use my laptop exclusvely in the future so wanna get it all setup. Basically, it will be docked 50% running on full AC power and at full performance, but the other 50% of the time I will be traveling with it so battery life is important to me. I did a stock install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (x64) and basically, what tips/tricks/applications do you guys recommend to optimize battery life? Juniper is appearently dead(?) so I shouldn't use it and Ubuntu does have some built in power management options but I don't know effective they are at extending battery life...

Laptop specs = Intel Core i5, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, Intel 4000 HD graphics, etc.
    613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Laptop Power Management?

you can change the cpu governor in /etc/init.d/ondemand

i am running 13.04 so my file is different than yours, if you don't know what you need to edit post the content and i can mark where you can edit it
    you want to change "ondemand" to "conservative"
    i change the line that says 'sleep 60' to 'sleep 30' so it does its thing faster

i hope you made the appropriate config options for your ssd
    https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

you can also set your brightness below the min setting, i can do this on my laptop
    Code:
    echo 160 | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
    i use my /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file to restore the brightness setting on boot using xbacklight
    Code:
    greeter-setup-script = xbacklight -set 0
    i have mine setup a bit more fancy so it saves the brightness at logout and then restores it at boot
    that does not restore the below 0 value btw

be sure your screensaver is set to blackscreen and turns the screen off
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; April 17th, 2013 at 12:17 AM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Laptop Power Management?

I have Powertop on my Dell. It's in the repositories.

Also, I have Jupiter. There is a ppa for it at https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/jupiter