Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What conditions do you think are required for the existence of consciousness?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: What conditions do you think are required for the existence of consciousness?

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    well this single malt isnt helping
    "I drink, therefore I am!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: What conditions do you think are required for the existence of consciousness?

Quote Originally Posted by J-E-N-O-V-A View Post
    Sometimes I like to thing trees, the Sun and even non-physical entities like footpaths have their own consciousness.

What do you think?
    I think that's animism, which is a very ancient way of relating to the natural world. There's absolutely no evidence for it of course, but it's not a worldview that's going to lead you harm anyone or anything, so by all means believe in it.

(also, do you think machines becoming self-aware is a possible phenomena or not?)
    I hope so, as it would give humans some interesting options for our continued evolution, and there tends to be an assumption that they will, based largely on the mechanistic idea that the brain is simply a very complex machine. However, some very smart people think it won't happen. Roger Penrose (who is a colleague of Stephen Hawking) wrote a book called The Emperor's New Mind about this, it's heavy going but interesting. Essentially he says that computation is qualitatively different to consciousness, so even a very complex simulation of the brain's processes wouldn't necessarily be conscious.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I've knocked myself unconscious while participating in extreme sports. As long as I can tell the paramedics the date and how many fingers there holding up, they let me go on.
    Last edited by wojox; April 19th, 2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: missed worded.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    "I drink, therefore I am!"
    "I'm pink, therefore I'm spam"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    "I'm pink, therefore I'm spam"
    oooh - you sure?

You know what we do with spam

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    oooh - you sure?

You know what we do with spam
    batter it and deep fry it with pineapple ?

mmmmm Yum spam fritters, gotta go now im hungry
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    I've knocked myself unconscious before participating in extreme sports. As long as I can tell the paramedics the date and how many fingers there holding up, they let me go on.
    I'm sure you meant while participating and not before. If you did it before you would not participate.

Beans

a soul
    AMD 64 3000+, 2G RAM, ASUS K8N , XFX GS7800, Linux Mint 9 , WinXP(dual boot/seperate HD)

Stalker's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving how much the United States sucks approaches one.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    I'm sure you meant while participating and not before. If you did it before you would not participate.
    I was semi conscious when I posted that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast