Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What conditions do you think are required for the existence of consciousness?

Beans

What conditions do you think are required for the existence of consciousness?

I don't think possessing a brain is enough of an explanation really. I don't see why something can't be conscious in other dimensions or using other chemicals or reactions.

Sometimes I like to thing trees, the Sun and even non-physical entities like footpaths have their own consciousness.

What do you think?

(also, do you think machines becoming self-aware is a possible phenomena or not?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What conditions do you think are required for the existence of consciousness?

Not so sure about trees, the Sun and footpaths having the ability to possess consciousness. There definitely is a minimum amount of hardware required to enable consciousness. And if some sentient being in an alternate dimension decided to manifest itself as a footpath in ours I am not too sure If it would be worth the effort to attempt to communicate with it

For me consciousness at least at the very basic level has to include a definite awareness of oneself. Thus even though a virus or bacteria is alive it most certainly does not possess consciousness. I think this only starts to happen in higher order mammals, the rest of creation is simply survival of the fittest to the extreme.

AI will in the not so distant future be self-aware, no doubt in my consciousness about their consciousness to be

Beans

Re: What conditions do you think are required for the existence of consciousness?

To define consciousness you first need to define what something or someone is?

What is the sun? A collection of atoms or a defined point in space time or ...

you see my point

Beans

Oxygen?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mJayk View Post
    To define consciousness you first need to define what something or someone is?

What is the sun? A collection of atoms or a defined point in space time or ...

you see my point
    wikipedia.org is useful if you're stuck on what the Sun is, but I'll help you out...go outside and look up!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Being awake.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

well this single malt isnt helping
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    well this single malt isnt helping
    There are many levels of consciousness, it takes a six pack to explore them all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I don't have much doubt that self-aware and conscious machines are not only possible but likely given current rates of development. Trees, rocks, and such? Not so much. You need more than a brain, you need the ability to make an internal model of the external environment, and simulate it using imagination, and apply it to your current or possible future physical states.

Beans

I'm not much for these types of discussions. Mainly because I tend to simply let things be. But I am willing to take a crack at this.

I feel as if in order for there to be consciousness there needs to be a certain level of understanding. Understanding that unless I am taking in a regular amount of simple substances, IE air (oxygen, nitrogen, etc.) I will perish. But then again that kinda steps into the realm of sentience. Though I believe sentience is the understand that the brain is thinking about itself.

Consciousness, to me, is the simple notion of continuing your existence.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast