Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Noisy fan on Dell 17r 5721 running 12.04

Beans

Re: Noisy fan on Dell 17r 5721 running 12.04

This is just a tip which may be helpful because I read "i do not know either how to determine that a computer has a grphics card or not either graphically or from cli command" .
    There is a program called " sysinfo" for Ubuntu which you can install graphically or in the terminal with "sudo apt-get install sysinfo". After installing it open it either from the menus or with "sysinfo" entered in the terminal. You can get your system information from there. If you click "file" from it's top panel ( or top bar ) it 'will save a text document where ever you choose and you could attach that to posts in order to save typeing.
    Another thing you could try which is none techy would be to download some live distros, puppy is small and Knoppix has a lot of drivers bundled with it. Trying one of those would help determine if the problem is hard or software based. It's not impossible that the fans need to be running because the thing thing is dusty inside and is getting hot despite not being pushed to capacity.
    To could find out how hot/cool things are in the chip by installing "lm-sensors". To do so "sudo apt-get install lm-sensors" and, it's not a graphic utility so "sensors" entered in the terminal will output the temperature of your chips in the terminal. Then search for your chip name ( which sysinfo will have told you ) and see if they are in their safe working temperature range. The lm-sensors program is available for many systems, anything Debian based like Ubuntu, and is so small it can be installed to RAM in a live session. So you could try it in live sessions with various distros too. If things are consistantly warm a physical clean would be the first thing to do. If not consitant then looking for software solution isn't a waste of time, which is worth knowing before banging your head against the problem.
    Last edited by houseworkshy; May 20th, 2013 at 07:27 PM.

Beans

Hi houseworkshy,
    The computer is new and has run on full fan since I bought it so I don't think cleaning it wil help. No software I have downloaded has been able to sense or control the fan. If I run the diagnostics from the BIOS I can hear the fan run perfectly at different speeds and consequently Dell simply deny there is a problem. Even when the CPUs are showing around 4% usage the fan is on full belt and cold air is pumping out of the vent. Thanks for the thoughts, but I am resigned to it being an unanswerable problem untl Dell and/or the hardware developers of the inbuilt graphics cards let opensource designers into their little secrets.
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

if it was new a month ago try a return or warranty fix maybe the fan or it's controller is defective

Beans

Hi cmcanulty,
    I spoke to Dell support when trying to fix the problem and they said I had invalidated the warranty by wiping windows and installing Ubuntu. I would have kept windows, but windows 8 is designed to make it impossible (at least to me) to partition the disk to add another OS. I don't know if that should cover a hardware issue, but from what I have read on the internet it is a software problem and in their eyes I have buggered up the software myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you want the hassle I think that provision would be an illegal violation of the fair use requirement. Especially since Dell actually sells some Ubuntu installed computers

Beans

In case anyone else has the same problem I have finally managed to slow the fan down using i8kctl. I will have to monitor the CPU temp (also with i8kctl), but the computer is now blissfully quiet. It was only my lack of understanding that stopped me from getting i8kctl to work. Thanks to all for the attempts to help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123