Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: security problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question security problems

I am having another family member go on my Linux box. and asked her not to download anything but she dose anyway while i am at work. To make matters worse I only have an 80 gig hard drive in it. so am just asking how can I stop this dead in it's tracks. Even from the quest Session. were only I can go on it????

just to let her go online but no downloading to the hard drive

She is not using a quest account she is using my account ??

i dont want her in the quest account just no downloading mostly because i only have an 80 gig hard drive
    Last edited by RemmyNumber7; January 12th, 2013 at 04:25 AM.

Beans

Re: security problems

Quote Originally Posted by RemmyNumber7 View Post
    I am having another family member go on my Linux box. and asked her not to download anything but she dose anyway while i am at work. To make matters worse I only have an 80 gig hard drive in it. so am just asking how can I stop this dead in it's tracks. Even from the quest Session. were only I can go on it????
    I think most versions of Ubuntu have a guest account which you can enable if not already, or add a new user and restrict that accounts access.
    To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
    Author: Robert Orben

Beans

Sounds like he's already got her on the guest account.

Use gparted to create a small partition for her and adjust her account so her home is in that partition and she can't access anything else. When her partition fills up tell her she has to get her own drive or buy you a bigger one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Disable the guest account.
    Done Deal
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans

Presumably he doesn't want to lock her out completely or he wouldn't have posted.

Some other approaches. You can change file permissions so she can read but not write to the drive. If you use a common data directory or better yet, a data partition separate from the system directories, you can mark the top data directory or the root directory of the data partition recursively so only owner and some group can write to it or change it but anyone can read it. Make yourself part of the group but not her. That way she can read your stuff but not change or delete it or put anything else on your drive.

If you really want to get really fancy and totally secure, use remastersys to make her a live disk and don't give her the admin password, just a user pass. Don't put her in the sudoers list. Set it up so she can't even mount your hd. Then she had full use of your machine but CAN'T touch your data in any way. She can't even screw up her OWN account because no changes she makes survive a reboot. And you won't be out ANY hd space since once you put her system on CD you can delete it from the HD and use the space for your own purposes. It's idiot proof, girl friend proof, even mother-in-law proof. If she were an expert and WANTED to damage your system, she'd have to use a hammer. And you won't be called on much for tech support because she CAN'T break it in any way a reboot won't fix.
    Last edited by Dreamer Fithp Apprentice; January 9th, 2013 at 02:21 AM.

Beans

Add a logout script to her account to delete everything in her (download) Desktop directory. Or the Guest Account's desktop.

If she wants to save it, she needs to save it elsewhere (like a USB stick) before logout.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
    add a logout script to her account to delete everything in her (download) desktop directory. Or the guest account's desktop.

If she wants to save it, she needs to save it elsewhere (like a usb stick) before logout.
    +1

This is a good solution and does not force her to quit using the computer completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I think you can set disk quota. You'll have to install the quota package. I've no experience using it on linux, but it worked on solaris (unix), where I wasn't the administrator. That way you should be able to give her a normal account (login, no sudo) and limit her disk usage to, let's say, 10GB, without creating a special partition for her. This makes it easier to change the limit at some point.

Is there anyone here who has experience using disk quota on ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by RemmyNumber7 View Post
    Even from the quest Session.
    The Guest session's home folder is located in /tmp. /tmp gets wiped at every boot. So simply restrict her to the Guest Account and if she fills her home folder up with data, just reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

how do u do this ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast