Thread: System frozen on apport; here's the end of the log

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

System frozen on apport; here's the end of the log

My system froze overnight, and here's the last few lines of the log:
    Code:
    Apr 15 07:26:39 Amanita udevd[9308]: failed to execute '/usr/share/apport/apport-gpu-error-intel.py' '/usr/share/apport/apport-gpu-error-intel.py': No such file or directory
    Apr 15 07:26:39 Amanita kernel: [59787.688063] [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
    So I guess that apport has something to do with it, but that's not a program that I've ever requested explicitly or know anything about. The system wasn't entirely dead, since cron jobs were still running and the mouse was alive -- but CapsLock wouldn't turn on the light.

How should I deal with this?

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: System frozen on apport; here's the end of the log

Apport is suppose to be disabled by default unless your running 13o4. I have been running into this recently and assume that upgrades are responsible for activating it. I suggest simply disabling apport.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&cof=FORID:9

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

See this bug: Bug #1103061

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Error in default application for python

None of these bug reports seem to match my situation. However, they did lead me to investigate why the .py file wasn't executing. It turns out that python is not the default application for .py files. In the file associations in System Settings, the listed associations for x-python are kate and Office Writer. I've changed that and I'll see what happens the next time this error crops up. Meanwhile, someone should fix that default setting for the file associations. (I have no idea where that's done.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Fix the default application for .py files

It's clear how a user can fix the default application for .py files, which of course should be python. My point is that the user shouldn't have to do that; the original default should be python. But I have no idea what program is responsible for setting the original default.