Thread: Good book (need printed material) for learning Linux and Ubuntu?

Beans

Good book (need printed material) for learning Linux and Ubuntu?

OK, got things pretty well straightened out and have 12.04LTS installed on external HDD. Before I go hosing it all up, and I will, I would like to find a book I can have beside me to learn this stuff from. Any suggestions on which is the best?
    Just getting onboard with linux
    My search engine
    A Q&A forum for the masses

Beans

Re: Good book (need printed material) for learning Linux and Ubuntu?

I have found that these forums provide some excellent reading on Ubuntu "fixes" that usually refer to syntax that gets entered in a terminal. Day to day use is usually self explanatory and using Ubuntu (or Mint) is much the same as WIndows. It may help people replying to inform them of your software background - if you are familiar with software programming for example, an appropriate Linux book could be very different from someone who has no programming background. Also, indicating the typical use you have for a Linux OS would also help people to reply with well-suited suggestions. In my case, I would not want any text book that assumes that I would want to be a software programmer - "Linux for dummies" would suit me best! Usually, this would just mean terminal syntax with explanations on what the code means and when it could be used. Some posts here have been very comprehensive on such subjects. However I suspect that finding a Linux book that covers every topic may be difficult - the large number of problem posts in these forums suggests that multiple combinations of computer type, Linux version and unforeseen bugs might make this quite problematic. Linux, it seems, is a work in progress.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Look through the resources on the following links:

For general intros to Ubuntu/Linux: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ExternalGuides

For learning command line: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommandLineResources

For differences between Windows and Linux (excellent short read): http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

For Network Admin (heavy-duty stuff):
    (As originally recommended by @slickymaster)
    http://lnag.sourceforge.net/download...ratorGuide.pdf
    http://ftacademy.org/files/materials...nulinux-v1.pdf
    http://debian-handbook.info/download...n-handbook.pdf
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans

afz12, you're right. Lots of great, detailed, help here. However, there may be times when I can't get online so, having printed material at hand is advantageous.

As for how I'll be using Linux with the Ubuntu desktop, mostly for online browsing, document creation, image manipulation (though I may stick with windows and photoshop for that), PHP script and HTML development for my own web sites, file upload and downloading.

I'm not a complete novice in general computer use, programming, and such BUT, having been using a GUI for so long under Windows, my skills have badly rusted. I will probably get Linux for Dummies to start off with and go on from there.
    Just getting onboard with linux
    My search engine
    A Q&A forum for the masses

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You could download and print the official getting started guide by the Ubuntu manual team...

http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Another goog place to start:
    New Docs. It's a alphabetical listing within a Contents Wiki for available Community Ubuntu Documentation. It was created by a forum contributor, BlinkinCat.

Beans

alhefner; I quite like using Libre Office for word documents - it is a microsoft word "clone" and it has an easy TOC entry. I like maths and equations - Libre Office is a bit clumsy there but the results look very cosmetic. Unlike word, I can't inset "objects" like pdf files, mp3 files, images etc into the document (at least none that I have found). Libre has spreadsheets (I don't like these!) and some picture capibility (primitive). You probably have Inkscape on your OS - it is useful but somewhat limited. I quite like the simple msdraw plugin for drawing things - it makes drawing electronic system diagrams simple and cut/pastes into LibreOffice easy enough. Microcap 9 (windows electronic circuit simulation) runs well under Wine/Linux but there is no alternative to windows Mathcad in LInux (no, Octave is not compatible in any way, neither MATLAB neither SciLab etc). I suspect many people will find some "unique" applications in Windows that have no copy-cat versions in Linux. Even QUCS circuit simulator (appears to be a copycat of Agilent ADS - severely cut down of course but free compared to several million $$$ and an annual support contract!) only appears on some specific distro's - it should be included as standard I think. This idea that Linux has answers to everyone's needs is a bit illusionary - in reality we enjoy many OS options these days - we can virtualize between alternate OS, or in Linux Wine runs many windows applications, or we can dual, triple boot OSs etc. Having so many options of free choice seems to me as a precursor to computing freedom I guess

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    You could download and print the official getting started guide by the Ubuntu manual team...

http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    +1. Moreover you can also buy a printed Book.

Most of the 'printed books' you find out there will be outdated by alleast few versions. Even if you find a good book which is uptodate then believe me, it will be out dated in a few months... most of them are outdated by the time they are printed.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Alhefner, since you want to learn Linux, I'd like to suggest three books that have been--for me, as an almost Newbie in using Linux--especially useful in learning to use Ubuntu. They are:

1. "Ubuntu Made Easy: A Project-Based Introduction to Linux", (2012), by Rickford Grant and Phil Bull. This is an extremely readable book that takes you in easy steps from the very beginning till you will feel quite comfortable using Ubuntu Linux. Many of the projects that the author describes are things that you will want to add to your Ubuntu installation; some you may not want to bother keeping; but ALL of the projects will illustrate ways to accomplish a variety of things involved in using Linux. The book truly merits the word "Made Easy" in its title, and it covers Ubuntu up through version 12.04.

2. "Beginning Ubuntu Linux: Natty Narwhal Edition", (2011), by Emilio Roggi, Keir Thomas, and Sander van Vugt. Another very readable book, this goes into more detail than does the Grant book. Using this (before I discovered Grant's book), I found that it covered every problem I had encountered in my first trial installation of Ubuntu--the trial in which, I need to confess, I made a number of stupid mistakes. Had I read the chapters on installation in this book prior to that trial installation, it would have been smooth sailing. Its pages explain just about everything I can imagine wanting to know about Ubuntu 11.04. (Keir Thomas has also written "Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference", which is available as a handy paperback book and also as a downloadable file: http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html ).

3. "Linux in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference", Sixth Edition (2009), by Ellen Siever, et al. This is a fine reference book on Linux in general, including, for example, the most readable presentation of Linux commands of which I am aware. I find myself looking through its 944 pages (which include a detailed index) whenever the previous two books happen not to cover a topic to the depth that I would like.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Also, and as a printed book, you have the Official Ubuntu Book.