Thread: Please reopen my thread

Beans

Please reopen my thread

Hello. Please reopen the thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12601398 it is not homework. I would understand if I had posted fifteen problems like this to be solved. The idea is someone helps me solve one, I attempt to solve all the others. Why is this forum so paranoid about people cheating on homework assignments? I'm being treated like a criminal on this forum for asking simple questions. None of the problems/questions I have posted on this forum have been homework problems. For the sake of argument, let's say this is a homework problem. Let us say that it is a homework problem which for marks will be given. Does anyone on this forum seriously believe that by showing me how to solve this problem I will be rewarded with so many marks that I will unfairly pass the course and eventually become an unqualified programmer? It doesn't matter what I post it is always labelled as homework. If I wrote adding two integers in C++ you guys would waste time reporting me instead of just helping me. Absolutely all questions/problems on this forum might be homework problems. Why am I being singled out?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Please reopen my thread

To us, it seems you are asking someone to do the work for you, you may have got a better reception if you had included what you come up with yourself. We get so many request to do homework, from those that are to lazy to do it themselves, that we are a little gun shy when it comes to these types of questions.

If you can show us that this isn't homework, we'd be more than happy to re-open the thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by binaryperson View Post
    Please find the first(By expanding the primary key), second, and third normal forms.
    Hello. Can someone please write a C program that has the following characteristics:

1) Uses a LIFO stack to store integers
    2) User can enter values(PUSH)
    3) User can remove values(POP)
    4) Stack is printed to the screen when the program starts and each time PUSH or POP is performed.
    5) The top of the stack contains the newest element, the bottom contains the oldest element.
    Unfortunately, these sound like questions taken directly from a homework assignment. They are not phrased "How can I..." or "Help me to...", they request "Do this for me!"
    It doesn't matter what I post it is always labelled as homework.
    Not exactly true. Your first Kubuntu threads looked OK. Even the "Databases compound key vs composite key" thread went unreported - even though it looks "homework-ish". This is the only thread which has been closed - so far...
    Absolutely all questions/problems on this forum might be homework problems. Why am I being singled out?
    Very few others include a numbered list of requirements... although you might find a few...
    Last edited by Iowan; April 14th, 2013 at 03:02 AM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    Unfortunately, these sound like questions taken directly from a homework assignment. They are not phrased "How can I..." or "Help me to", they request "Do this for me!"

Very few others include a numbered list of requirements... although you might find a few...
    For the one thousandth time I made up that problem myself! All 5 requirements! Yes, do this for me so I can do the rest myself! So that I have a starting point.

That is a great example. I made the stack problem up to gain a better understanding of stacks. I methodically thought out how the program should work and wrote the requirements 1-5. The problem is still unsolved. I would appreciate if someone solved it. Now if that was homework why would that be the case? Wouldn't have the due date passed long ago? Wouldn't I have gotten 0 marks for the "homework"? Wouldn't my response be "I don't care, no one solved it for me in time. I got zero marks and I don't care anymore" ? Let me guess, you are going to say that this is just a front. I'm bluffing, right? The stack problem was homework, the due date passed, I got zero marks, and I am just saying I would still appreciate the answer to waste your time.

Yeah and mounting a drive on Ubuntu was homework too right!?

Just out of curiosity, do you even know what my normalization problem is asking and how to solve it? Do not give me the answer if you do! Do not even think of the answer(I might use mind reading techniques to read your mind and cheat on my "homework assignment"!)

At the end of the day it is simple, the burden of proof lies upon you to prove that these are homework problems and not upon me to prove that they aren't. There is no possible way for me to prove that they aren't, but then again there is no way for me to prove that unicorns don't exist either.

I don't know if your going to delete my account for being honest or what is going to happen but let it be known, I never posted a homework assignment problem or question!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah and mounting a drive on Ubuntu was homework too right!?
    I think I mentioned:
    Your first Kubuntu threads looked OK.
    At the end of the day it is simple, the burden of proof lies upon you to prove that these are homework problems and not upon me to prove that they aren't.
    Think that if you like, but at the end of the day the thread will still be closed.

I don't know if your going to delete my account for being honest or what is going to happen but let it be known, I never posted a homework assignment problem or question!
    Nope! This thread has remained within the Code of Conduct. You have not been insulting.
    I might suggest you phrase future questions requesting hints or suggestions - rather than "Can someone please write a C program that has the following characteristics:"
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm inclined to believe it was for a learning experience. If binaryperson only wanted an answer, they just use the ones from the exact same question (that they most likely posted) on Yahoo Answers. With the question 'answered' there, why would binaryperson care if the thread here remained closed?
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans

No point in arguing, the house/admin always wins.