Thread: Startup problems and errors in the file system.

Beans

Startup problems and errors in the file system.

Ubuntu 12.10 calls frequently to check the disks when booting. The problem is that it shows no sign of really being checking it. I just skipping the check to enter the system.

The problem is that now I'm not allowed to modify files on disk and Firefox will not open. Sometimes Chromium neither. When I try to open Firefox comes a message that is already open and asking to close it. But it's not open.

Today I turned on the laptop, using Windows 7, and it appeared that black screen with text prompting fixes disk. I choose to fix. After that, when the Ubuntu boots, this problem appears.

Ubuntu is installed with Wubi, but is on a partition separate from Windows 7, so I deduce that the problem is not with him.

It's difficult for me. Ubuntu has the same level of instability that Windows XP. I prefer it because the user experience is better for me, but I have to reinstall every three months because of one problem or another. And the worst is that this installation is recent. I do not have time to be correcting mistakes all the time because of work and college.
    Last edited by NBPX; April 15th, 2013 at 09:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Startup problems and errors in the file system.

Quote Originally Posted by NBPX View Post
    Ubuntu is installed with Wubi, but is on a partition separate from Windows 7
    Are you certain of that? Wubi by definition installs Ubuntu to a file (root.disk) in a Windows partition.

Your problems could possibly be caused by a failing hard disk. Have you run Windows' chkdsk? Or checked the drive's SMART data?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Doesn't sound right. All these problems. If you're shutting down normally then it might be some hardware/driver issues. What brand/model/graphics card do you have?

It might be better with a non-Wubi install - especially if you use it more than Windows - but unless you figure out what's causing the instabilities you might have problems with that as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Are you certain of that? Wubi by definition installs Ubuntu to a file (root.disk) in a Windows partition.

Your problems could possibly be caused by a failing hard disk. Have you run Windows' chkdsk? Or checked the drive's SMART data?
    root.disk was in Ubuntu partition.

Disks are ok. Windows don't have problems during execution.

Don't run chkdsk. Don't know what is smart data or how to check it.

Problem solved (at least by now). Ubuntu reinstalled (without Wubi). At least it looks a little bit more fast.
    Last edited by NBPX; April 23rd, 2013 at 10:19 PM.