Thread: Ubuntu 12.04.2 64Bit install issue

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04.2 64Bit install issue

I currently have a Samsung 14" QX411-W02UB. It was running Ubuntu 12.04 64bit flawlessly until I installed the Intel Graphics Installer and it ended it making my touch-pad no longer work. I decided to just do a fresh install to resolve my issue. The installation kept failing (ubuntu would produce a blank screen after rebooting.) So I checked the media for defects and this is what message came up.

Integrity test failed:
    The ./pool.main/l/linux-signed-its-quantal/kernel-signed-image-3.5.0.-23-generic-di_3.5.0-23.3.5~precise1_amd64.udeb file failed the MD5 checksum verification.

This is my file:ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso
    I used both unetbootin and the Linux universal installer to transfer the file to the USB drive.

I've attached a picture of the message.

I've checked and I can install the 32bit version of Ubuntu without an issue.
    I've also tried the alternate 64bit version as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu 12.04.2 64Bit install issue

That error means that the .iso file you used to make the USB install medium, or the transfer of that to the USB has resulted in a bad USB.

Check the .iso file md5sum against the list at UbuntuHashes - MD5sum and if necessary download again, by torrent if you can, as that will always give you a good downloaded file, then transfer the .iso to USB again. personally, I don't think it matters which of the two apps you have used is your choice, as they both do a fine job.

Beans

thanks for the suggestion. I went back and downloaded/installed 12.04.1 64bit and I had no issues with installation. There is definitely something wrong with those .iso files.

Beans

to the MODS
    this thread can be marked as SOLVED, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

please open following url and report that the bug also affects you https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1161771