Thread: First try at Ubuntu - rough going

Threaded View

Beans

First try at Ubuntu - rough going

I'm a software developer and decided to make the jump to Ubuntu. I picked up a used Acer Aspire 5750-9851 (see the specs below).

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit from a flash drive with no issues. I used the system for a couple of hours with no issues. During that time I checked the "Software Update" app and I applied all the recommended updates (220+ megs worth).

At the end of that 2 hours the system locked up. I rebooted and it came back up and said a problem was detected. I filed an error report (or at least tried to). From here everything has gone down hill. For a few boots afterwards it would keep saying a problem was detected (I believe it was xorg crashing). Then during a boot it would give me a message about being in "low graphics mode" and then lock up. Now it just boots up to a black screen that says "[OK]" at the very top and locks up (the mouse moves but nothing else does anything).

What's really odd is that sometimes it boots to the grub menu and sometimes it doesn't. Why would it do that? I brought it up in recovery mode and ran fsck and "package repair". Neither one finds any problems. I created a flash drive with memtest+ on it and let it run over night. No memory errors were found.

Any other suggestions? I think my next move is going to be to re-install fresh and not apply the recommended updates for a while and see if it will stay up for a few days.

Acer 5750-9851 specs
    Processor: i7-2630QM
    Memory: 16GB
    Hard Drive: Curcial 512GB SSD
    Graphics: Intel HD
    Chipset: Mobil Intel HM65 Express

Thanks!
    Doc
    Last edited by DetroitDoc; April 16th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.