Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it cruel to keep pets?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Is it cruel to keep pets?

There are two kinds of cats in my street. One kind is well adapted to hanging around while I'm helping Mrs Lisati with domestic chores, getting under my feet while I'm hanging out the washing, and having a prowl looking for food it can bludge off me. The other kind is better adapted to running away as soon as it notices me.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unfortunately, even though this about pets in general, since it's the internet it has slowly gone in favor of cats.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Anything in a cage or removed from its natural environment IS WRONG! My local pet supply store has all kinds of birds in cages,indoors. As well as various Reptiles. ITS WRONG.
    If you like lizards,snakes,Birds etc then watch Discovery or go for a walk outdoors.

In this 'Modern' world there is no need for Zoo's or 'Wildlife parks',especially in Northern climates where there are wildlife parks with Big cats,and other exotic animals that shouldnt be here.A visit to a wildlife park a few years ago left me feeling angry and upset-several dozen (Wallabies?) huddled together to keep warm (?)-Rhino's confined to a few square yards,likewise Lions and Tigers,Giraffe etc.

I have no problem with Domesticated animals such as Dogs,cats and Horses etc. Other than some stupid owners who do not have a clue how to look after 'their' pets.

eddie(sorry about the rant)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Pets in general, I would say no it's not cruel for reasons that have already been expressed in the thread.

Cats in particular have a separate ethical issue, in that pet cats are a walking ecological disaster for the surrounding wildlife.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory solution to your problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

While I think the OP's premise is absurd reguarding domesticated animals, I do think that it has spawned some very interesting and sometimes funny responses.
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a Border Collie, who is loved by both me and my missus, fed whenever he wants, taken long walks/runs, get's a lot more exercise than either of us, and I'm sure, loves us in return. Does the OP think he'd be better living in the gutter, or roaming free in a pack ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Is it cruel to keep pets?

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    My pleasure. This is by far the most insightful book I have ever read on this subject. It's a real page turner.

Quote Originally Posted by evilsoup View Post
    Cats in particular have a separate ethical issue, in that pet cats are a walking ecological disaster for the surrounding wildlife.
    As a former wildlife rehabber,I agree 100% and then some.
    Last edited by Linuxratty; April 16th, 2013 at 01:28 AM.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Adding to this, Doctors and Psychologists recommend pets for the elderly as companions .. and there are service and companion dogs. .. then there are pets for the handicapped that help bring the individuals out of their shells. So an emphatic .. NO, it is not cruel when it comes to having DOMESTICATED animals as pets .. jury out on keeping "pets" that are confined to cages if they came from the wild. (fish are exempt)
    Now, there are pet OWNERS that should be put in jail for the treatment that they give to an animal that relies on them! THAT IS CRUEL!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    There is a great deal of debate about when C. lupus was actually domesticated and became C. lupus familiaris. What is widely accepted is that genetic research has moved C. familiaris from its position as a distinct species to C. lupus familiaris, a sub-species of C. lupus, in terms of its taxonomy. Full speciation has not yet occurred.
    I find the flexibility of the dog genome fascinating. The idea that lurking inside the genome of a wolf there is a chihuahua really does my head in. Being completely ignorant of the practicalities of genetics it does make me wonder: if one can selectively breed a wolf into a chihuahua is it at least theoretically possible to reverse the process? To selectively breed a wolf analogue from any species of dog?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post

here is a little something you may enjoy reading
    http://pastebin.com/wUD5Bd0z
    Thanks for that

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast