Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it cruel to keep pets?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is it cruel to keep pets?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfish201 View Post
    I always thought it was strange how humans keep other animals in their homes for their amusemnt.
    I know, roommates and/or siblings can be quite amusing.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfish201 View Post
    I always thought it was strange how humans keep other animals in their homes for their amusemnt.
    If my neighbour's cats could speak, they might have a different take on this.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by J-E-N-O-V-A View Post
    So do you think your cat would enjoy freeloading off you eating processed food more than taking care of its own healthy litter in the wild whilst eating tastey raw flesh?
    I don't think my cat would be happier at all. Cats are not wild animals. Almost all cats and dogs that are kept as pets are removed from their wild ancestors by hundreds or even thousands of generations. In general, they lack the ability to even subsist on their own. Cats are more likely to be able to survive happy and healthy on their own than dogs, but neither one has particularly good odds in the wild. Many breeds of dogs are so inbred that without constant human intervention they would die from something as simple as being crippled by matted fur.

So, no. Keeping domesticated breeds as pets is not more cruel than letting them all go free. Despite what the evil monsters who run PETA (who euthanize tens of thousands of animals for every animal they save) would tell you, setting all the puppies and kitties free is the cruelest of all possible options.

Keeping fish isn't cruel, because they are so lacking in intelligence that they are incapable of understanding that they're in an aquarium.

Many breeds of small pets can be given as much or more room as what they would have on their own, given the opportunity or breed, play, etc, while being free from the constant threat of predators.
    My blog about getting your life in gear: Growing Up After 30.

My Photography: Stephen Michael Photography.

Beans
    Distro

In all seriousness though, keeping pets is only cruel for the keeper.
    I have to waste all my money,energy and resources feeding and taking care of them.
    They live the high life.
    I don't think any animal, with any amount of wits to them, would want to live out in the cold desolate wild over living the in the lap of luxury.
    Every cat I've ever owned had eventually become an outdoorsy cat, but still came home for the comfort the indoor world provided them.
    Every dog I've ever owned got mad when I left them outside, and would proceed to bark like crazy till I let 'em in.
    If any animal felt that the life I provided to them was evil in anyway, they have the ability to jump ship at any time.

So I don't think it's cruel to keep pets, more like saintly.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Every cat I've ever owned had eventually become an outdoorsy cat, but still came home for the comfort the indoor world provided them.
    this is a the grass is always greener in the other side situation
    my moms cat was supposed to be an outdoor cat but it kept wanting in and after a couple days she gave in, if you take that cat outside it struggles free and run back inside
    my cats constantly beg to get outside
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    this is a the grass is always greener in the other side situation
    my moms cat was supposed to be an outdoor cat but it kept wanting in and after a couple days she gave in, if you take that cat outside it struggles free and run back inside

Probably so, and thinking it over, I'd venture to guess a few of the half-dozen cats I've had never really lived the street life.
    I have a sneaking suspicion they would mozy on over to the nice neighbors around me, and just chill their houses.

Still though at the end of the day, it was my home they came to.
    They always had a chance to flee, but they never did, so...
    Earn Your Keep

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

cats spend most of there time where they get fed the most
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!

I think it depends what kind of animal you are keeping as it has been mentioned before that living with humans or at least where cats are fed is sort of in their nature.
    For other (mostly exotic)animals I think it's not as good.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd say keeping them as a pet in of itself no. I don't see it as cruel and they tend to live a lot better and longer then in the wild. Obviously this depends on the family they're with, as some people can be really cruel while others very loving. At least this is the case for animals such as Cats & many breeds of dogs. Caged Birds, not so much like finches. Keeping Avians in general as pets is probably not the best for them, unless they have a very large green house or something to fly around in. Even then its probably not the same as being able to fly in the wild.
    Last edited by MasterNetra; April 23rd, 2013 at 11:13 PM.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    Sounds like one of my cats. He will howl at the door to be let out. It's gotten to the point where the door is always open when someone is home.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast