Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it cruel to keep pets?

Beans

Re: Is it cruel to keep pets?

some owners are cruel, some owners are loving
    can't make sweeping generalizations
    our cat was rescued from a hurricane, she (appears to be) happy and grateful for the life we've given her
    Last edited by snowpine; April 15th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    Agreed. You might want to read this:The Covenant of the Wild: Why Animals Chose Domestication.

http://www.amazon.com/Covenant-Wild-.../dp/0300079931
    Thanks for the recommendation.

Beans

In a trial against "anarchists" in England a couple of decades ago, McDonalds lawyers suggested that chickens in battery arrangements were spared the stress of being hunted by foxes.

Hmm.

Don't really have a problem with pets but I do feel that zoos are animal prisons.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by J-E-N-O-V-A View Post
    How would we feel if an alien race came down, killed all of the humans they deemed threatening, took the weak ones and bred them for their own needs, then much later using their existences as emotional crutches and denying them the freedom to choose outside of an environment they can't comprehend?
    I would probably be dead.

An intelligent species that values freedom would form an organized resistance. Common pets do not demonstrate that sort of behavior.

oldsoundguy is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro

Look at it this way. Dogs and cats moved in with humans in pre-historic times .. it was a two way relationship.
    Dogs will protect their adopted owner from perceived harm. (defend the pack) No other animal will do so.
    Yes, it is not really fair to an animal to confine them in a small apartment with no contact with the outside world. That is why we take them out and to dog parks where they can run free and play with other dogs.
    Cats. on the other hand, remain aloof and limit their affection .. like at 4 am when they want to be fed so they pounce on your chest .. independent .. BUT .. IF you leave the door open and they go out and then come back, they have MADE A CHOICE.

Beans
    Distro

You could just eat 'em.

Which is what would happen if we didn't keep 'em as pets.
    Last edited by deadflowr; April 15th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

No unless it really is a wild animal of some kind or if the owner is a idiot.
    I love my cat Stink and he loves me, he is the best cat that acts like a dog ever

Beans
    Distro

Hmmm, many humans would kill to have the kind of live my mother-in-law's Dachshund have. If I could be reincarnated I want to be a dog in their house

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This is a subject about which I have been very interested for a great many years, so forgive a bit of a ramble.

There is a great deal of debate about when C. lupus was actually domesticated and became C. lupus familiaris. What is widely accepted is that genetic research has moved C. familiaris from its position as a distinct species to C. lupus familiaris, a sub-species of C. lupus, in terms of its taxonomy. Full speciation has not yet occurred.

(Interestingly, dogs were once classified as C. domesticus, domestic dogs, and were then reclassified as C. familiaris, familiar dogs -- dogs we are familiar with in the sense that two unrelated persons may be familiar with each other.)

Did they become "dogs" when they started associating closely with humans 100,000 years ago when both wolves and humans gained opportunistic benefit from each other, or when there is evidence of a closer genetic relationship to modern dogs about 40,000 years ago, or when they began to be purposely bred for desireable characteristic some time within the last 5,000 years or when the distinctive breeds we know now started to appear several hundreds of years ago? Would humans, as we see ourselves now, have existed without the advantages our ancestors enjoyed as a result of the relationship? Is it entirely coincidental that anatomically modern humans began to appear at about the same time as our forebears associated with the forebears of our family pooch? That Neanderthal's began to decline about 40,000 years ago when we find evidence of genetic similarities between proto-dogs and modern dogs? Were they out-competed by humans or the human/dog team?

My take is that if the relationship had not been mutual, neither of us might have survived. Dogs may have been the reason for our own survival "in the wild".

There is still a great deal of debate about F. catus (sometimes referred to as F. domesticus), which many taxonomists now classify as F. silvestris catus -- a subspecies of wildcat rather than a distict species. Cats have a mutualistic relationship with humans, but having undergone very little morphologic change they are quite capable of surviving in the wild -- and can still interbreed with some wild cats. There is a joke that we have not domesticated the cat, rather it us.

(Generally, both C. lupus familiaris and C. silvestris catus are referred to by the convention of Linnaeus' binomial classification as C. familiaris and F. catus.)

But the fact is that for both cats and dogs, they simply would not exist and the extant individuals would not have been born except for human intervention. The only condition under which the OP's sentiment is consistent is the non-existence of domestic dogs and cats. This would require complete eradication and extinction rather than release into the wild.
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

my 2 cats spend the most of the day in the same room as me, they follow me around and sleep near/with me every night and wait in the windows/doors when i go out
    usually cats own humans, they let you think you own them but in reality you are there servant and caretaker

here is a little something you may enjoy reading
    http://pastebin.com/wUD5Bd0z
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast