Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing AMD Legacy Drivers on 12.04 LTS

Hybrid View

Beans

Installing AMD Legacy Drivers on 12.04 LTS

I've tried doing this repeatedly, and I give up doing it through my own research. Every other page shows a different process and the one's I've tried haven't worked out. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. I reformatted my drive, had 12.1 installed, and installed 12.04 so I could use this driver, or so I thought. My Gateway nv52 uses the Radeon 3200 card so I need the legacy driver. I've been trying to use the newer 13.1 version. So far I've broke something a handful of times and just reinstalled ubuntu to start fresh. Main reason I want to get away from the open source driver is the boot/sleep problem and the only game I play one my computer, World of Tanks, runs at single digit frames per second with the open source card even with a low res pack installed. So, is there a definitive guide somewhere or where may I be screwing up? Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Installing AMD Legacy Drivers on 12.04 LTS

Bump...

I googled how to find out my xserver version and my kernel version. I am running 1.13 which I know is a problem. I thought 12.04 came with 1.12? Is it safe to downgrade to 1.12 and not cause problems later on? I had read that hacking ubuntu 12.10 into using xserver 1.12 may cause issues down the line which is why I uninstalled 12.10 and installed 12.04 instead. My kernel is 3.5.0. I haven't found out if that is compatible or not. Still working finding an answer for xserver.

Beans

I believe 12.04.02 comes with X-server 1.13, as does 12.10.

It's not simple to downgrade to X-server 1.12 and will carry lots of problems with it even if you do that.
    Last edited by Mark Phelps; April 16th, 2013 at 11:29 PM.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    I believe 12.04.02 comes with X-server 1.13, as does 12.10.
    It's not simple to downgrade to X-server 1.12 and will carry lots of problems with it even if you do that.
    In 12.04.2, it is fairly easy to go back to the original 1.11.4 Xserver that 12.04 originally came with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-lts-precise

Beans

So I found out how to find out for sure what I got. The system screen says 12.04 LTS so I thought that's what it was, not 12.04.02. Did the 'lsb_release -a' command and it says 12.04.02. Damn, guess I gotta figure out how to get regular 12.04. I knew 12.1 and 12.04.02 came with xserver 1.13, just thought I had 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can download 12.04.1 which still uses X server 1.12 from here...

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04.1/
    Cheesemill

Beans

Thanks, downloading it now. Is there anything I need to watch for with updates? Like is the system going to try to update itself to the next version with x-server 1.13 at any time? And what is the definite guide for installing the legacy driver? I had tried a couple different ones that used different commands, of course now I know why they didn't work. Just want to get this driver installed and working so I can get my other programs installed. Not going to mess with putting them on again until after I know this works incase I need to reinstall ubuntu again and start over.

Beans

Finally got around to getting 12.04.01 installed and now that is done. Before I try to install the 13.1 Legacy driver again I want to be sure I get the right commands. There is sooo many different sets of commands you should enter floating around online. Most of the one's I've been finding now involve downgrading x-server. Whole reason I installed 12.04.01 is so that I won't have to do that. There is a fglrx driver under Additional Drivers but it doesn't say which version it is or if it is a legacy type driver. Help?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mclark87 View Post
    Finally got around to getting 12.04.01 installed and now that is done. Before I try to install the 13.1 Legacy driver again want to be sure I get the right commands. There is sooo many different sets of commands you should enter floating around online. Most of the one's I've been finding now involve downgrading x-server. Whole reason I installed 12.04.01 is so that I won't have to do that. There is a fglrx driver under Additional Drivers but it doesn't say which version it is or if it is a legacy type driver. Help?
    The one under additional drivers would be the version that was distributed with 12.4 -- probably a Catalys 10.x or 12.x version.

The 13.1 Linux legacy driver will work with your card and Ubuntu 12.04 -- but make sure it says Legacy Driver in the web page -- as the standard 13.1 driver will not work with your card.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Yeah, I downloaded the 13.1 legacy driver from their site. Do I just extract the .zip file and click the .run file inside to run it like that? Just want to make sure it works this time, thanks. I figured I was looking for some commands to enter into the terminal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast