Thread: Steam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Steam

steam
    Running Steam on ubuntu 12.04 32-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1364601080_client)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1364601080_client)
    unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
    GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend. Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
    [0417/220311:WARNINGroxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
    Generating new string page texture 12: 48x256, total string texture memory is 49.15 KB
    Generating new string page texture 13: 256x256, total string texture memory is 311.30 KB
    Generating new string page texture 14: 128x256, total string texture memory is 442.37 KB
    Generating new string page texture 15: 384x256, total string texture memory is 835.58 KB
    Generating new string page texture 18: 64x256, total string texture memory is 901.12 KB
    Generating new string page texture 21: 8x256, total string texture memory is 909.31 KB
    Generating new string page texture 22: 16x256, total string texture memory is 925.70 KB
    Generating new string page texture 23: 32x256, total string texture memory is 958.46 KB
    Generating new string page texture 24: 24x256, total string texture memory is 983.04 KB
    Process 2896 created /user-ValveIPCSharedObjects3
    Generating new string page texture 37: 1024x256, total string texture memory is 2.03 MB
    unlinked 2 orphaned pipes
    CAsyncIOManager: 0 threads terminating. 0 reads, 0 writes, 0 deferrals.
    CAsyncIOManager: 1259 single object sleeps, 0 multi object sleeps
    CAsyncIOManager: 0 single object alertable sleeps, 2 multi object alertable sleeps
    [2013-04-17 22:03:01] Startup - updater built Mar 29 2013 11:40:39
    [2013-04-17 22:03:02] Verifying installation...
    [2013-04-17 22:03:02] Verification complete
    Shutting down. . .
    [2013-04-17 22:05:01] Shutdown

As usual i kept waiting for long time and finally canceled the operation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bölvaður View Post
    Just to clarify, 2 GiB of RAM is sufficient to run Steam, and more RAM is not needed for most games available on Steam.

The problem is that you need the ia32-libs package. It's a library that contains everything you need to run 32 bit software on 64 bit Linux OS.
    The reason why you are having those problems can occur because of multiple possibilities.

How did you install Steam and where from did you get it?
    Can you please do as requested above and post the terminal output when running Steam from the terminal.
    I know RAM is not the problem. Just a reminder, I am using 32 bit Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Can any one help ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Your problem is very peculiar. Since you're on a 32Bit version of Ubuntu, you shouldn't have any problems with 32Bit dependencies.

My only guess is that the version of Steam you obtained from the Ubuntu Software Center is corrupted/broken, or could have become broken during installation. Have you tried getting the .deb installer from Steam's website?
    Get it here: http://store.steampowered.com/about/?snr=1_4_4__11

Before trying to install this, please uninstall/remove the Steam you installed from the Ubuntu Software Center. To install the .deb from Steam's website, simply download it and double click it. It will then proceed to use the USC to install itself. I find this is usually the safest way to go about it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by myromance123 View Post
    Your problem is very peculiar. Since you're on a 32Bit version of Ubuntu, you shouldn't have any problems with 32Bit dependencies.

My only guess is that the version of Steam you obtained from the Ubuntu Software Center is corrupted/broken, or could have become broken during installation. Have you tried getting the .deb installer from Steam's website?
    Get it here: http://store.steampowered.com/about/?snr=1_4_4__11

Before trying to install this, please uninstall/remove the Steam you installed from the Ubuntu Software Center. To install the .deb from Steam's website, simply download it and double click it. It will then proceed to use the USC to install itself. I find this is usually the safest way to go about it.
    I uninstalled it but it seems it is not completely uninstalling as after installing from the downloaded deb it is not downloading the new installation files of abt 150+ mb. it is straight off going to the next stage for login. So how can i make sure that all the files it earlier downloaded are uninstalled or deleted ?

Beans
    Distro

Following this: LINK

Open a new terminal and Enter each of the following one-by-one.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove steam
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge steam
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.local/share/Steam
    Now, try and reinstall Steam.

The last instruction is the most important. This one goes to your hidden Steam folder and deletes it. You can check if it's deleted later by going into your Home directory, clicking View -> Show Hidden Files and then heading into .local/share/Steam.

Beans
    Distro

Following this: LINK

Open a new terminal and Enter each of the following one-by-one.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove steam
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge steam
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.local/share/Steam
    Now, try and reinstall Steam.

The last instruction is the most important. This one goes to your hidden Steam folder and deletes it. You can check if it's deleted later by going into your Home directory, clicking View -> Show Hidden Files and then heading into .local/share/Steam.
    I did every thing as instructed.
    First when i wanted to remove steam it said it is not installed and use auto remove for unwanted applications. I did that and it removed a lot of applications.
    Then i followed the rest as you instructed and finally steam downloaded abt 150+ mb of data (though once there was a network error but i tried again and it worked). But finally even after the entire installation was done it gave the same network error (can not connect to the server). I registered on steam's website instead of from that software and this time clicked login with existing id but it again gave the same network error where as there is no problem with internet usage. The terminal response is :

steam
    Running Steam on ubuntu 12.04 32-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
    GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend. Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
    [0421/012638:WARNINGroxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
    Generating new string page texture 12: 48x256, total string texture memory is 49.15 KB
    Generating new string page texture 13: 256x256, total string texture memory is 311.30 KB
    Generating new string page texture 14: 128x256, total string texture memory is 442.37 KB
    Generating new string page texture 15: 384x256, total string texture memory is 835.58 KB
    Generating new string page texture 18: 24x256, total string texture memory is 860.16 KB
    unlinked 2 orphaned pipes
    CAsyncIOManager: 0 threads terminating. 0 reads, 0 writes, 0 deferrals.
    CAsyncIOManager: 276 single object sleeps, 0 multi object sleeps
    CAsyncIOManager: 0 single object alertable sleeps, 1 multi object alertable sleeps
    [2013-04-21 01:26:34] Startup - updater built Mar 29 2013 11:40:39
    [2013-04-21 01:26:34] Verifying installation...
    [2013-04-21 01:26:34] Verification complete
    Shutting down. . .
    [2013-04-21 01:26:59] Shutdown

Beans
    Distro

This is starting to look like an issue with Steam itself rather than your system. Alright, can you uninstall it all the same as before but this time with one difference. In your Home folder, click View -> Show Hidden Files. There's one more folder that might exist containing Steam files. This is the .steam folder. If after you've uninstalled Steam, this folder still exists than we can assume this folder may be the problem. Please delete it as well (after doing the uninstall commands as instructed above). Now try once more with reinstalling Steam. (Note, the .steam folder is NOT the same one as the /.local/share/Steam folder)

If it still fails after this, I can only guide you to publish this as an issue on Steam's Github issues page: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues
    You will need a free Github account to post your issue, but hopefully the folks there can further assist you. To publish an issue, just click the big green New Issue button on the top right of the page.

P.S: Could it also be possible that your Ubuntu installation might be corrupted? This can happen when upgrading and/or doing a clean install with a CD or USB. I have personally experienced corrupt installs with Ubuntu and Windows, it's natural.

Beans
    Distro

This is starting to look like an issue with Steam itself rather than your system. Alright, can you uninstall it all the same as before but this time with one difference. In your Home folder, click View -> Show Hidden Files. There's one more folder that might exist containing Steam files. This is the .steam folder. If after you've uninstalled Steam, this folder still exists than we can assume this folder may be the problem. Please delete it as well (after doing the uninstall commands as instructed above). Now try once more with reinstalling Steam. (Note, the .steam folder is NOT the same one as the /.local/share/Steam folder)

If it still fails after this, I can only guide you to publish this as an issue on Steam's Github issues page: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues
    You will need a free Github account to post your issue, but hopefully the folks there can further assist you. To publish an issue, just click the big green New Issue button on the top right of the page.

P.S: Could it also be possible that your Ubuntu installation might be corrupted? This can happen when upgrading and/or doing a clean install with a CD or USB. I have personally experienced corrupt installs with Ubuntu and Windows, it's natural.
    Thanx, I will check these things one by one. But i will not be able to reply for two days. Anyway, if (in case) there is prob with Ubuntu then how do we check that ? I do not wish to reinstall Ubuntu again, its a big trouble updating and installing everything. And i have everything running well on it including Urban Terror.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    Thanx, I will check these things one by one. But i will not be able to reply for two days. Anyway, if (in case) there is prob with Ubuntu then how do we check that ? I do not wish to reinstall Ubuntu again, its a big trouble updating and installing everything. And i have everything running well on it including Urban Terror.
    You may or may not have broken packages (this is the only way I know of checking if Ubuntu is messed up or not). We can check and fix this by doing this in a Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -a --configure
    If everything on your system is fine, then we can safely assume this is a problem with Steam and its installer itself at the moment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast