Thread: WEP, WPA-psk and changing wifi "key" or password

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

WEP, WPA-psk and changing wifi "key" or password

As the AT&T staff knows nothing of Linux and as I must change my 2Wire wifi-modem-router password as someone has started using it w/o permission, I tried to change the "key" as AT&T calls it. (Everyone else calls it a password).

I opened the 2Wire page at: 192.168.1.254 and entered my "System Password" and changed Authentication from WEP-Open to WPA-PSK. I clicked the "Use Custom Pass Phrase", entered (for example) dalealan8933. That's 12 elements. I then clicked "Save" and the modem page went to blank and a moment later, Ubuntu went offline. I then tried to edit "Network Connections" and change "Wireless Security" from WEP 40/128-bit Key (Hex or ASCII) to WPA and WPA2 Personal. I added the new "key" or password and could not get back online.
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Brother MFC-240C prntr, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: WEP, WPA-psk and changing wifi "key" or password

Delete your connection on your computer and try a fresh boot. Select your Wireless and hit connect, it will ask you for the new password or phrase under WPA/WPA2.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )