Thread: General Query Root User

Beans

Question General Query Root User

I'm following the course activities given by the Open University covering Linux. They tell you how to become a root user etc. with sudo su. But how do you come out off the root ? Can anyone help? Plus can anyone recommend a book that I can read and learn more about Linux? Thank you in advance
    Last edited by awatkins1971; April 15th, 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Beans

Re: General Query Root User

Quote Originally Posted by awatkins1971 View Post
    But how do you come out off the root ?
    Use the command 'exit' to return to a non-root shell prompt ($).

However, I have used Ubuntu for seven years, and use sudo very frequently. I use root regularly in Debian and other distros.
    I have *never* needed to use root in Ubuntu, and strongly discourage it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just to make it clear. If you have sudo rights to start a root shell, then you should use
    Code:
    sudo -i
    to start one. Iif not, but (there is and) you know the root password, then you should use
    Code:
    su -
    Please read community/RootSudo

You can log out from a root (or any other) shell with the `exit' command or by pressing Ctrl+d (assuming that your shell dandles them).

In Ubuntu, the `admin' users (like the first user created during installation) have full sudo rights, which means that they can use sudo to run any command as root or any other user. So, most of the time you don't need to start a root shell, because you are able to run a single command as root with sudo.

BTW, Welcome to the forums!

HTH
    Last edited by sisco311; April 14th, 2013 at 10:01 PM.

Beans

If you are root all you have to do is "su username" will take you back to user!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by zrdc28 View Post
    If you are root all you have to do is "su username" will take you back to user!
    Not true. The original shell is still open. When you su username, you open a new shell. So now you have 3 shells open (username, root, username). Exit is the proper way to close an open shell.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by bab1 View Post
    Not true. The original shell is still open. When you su username, you open a new shell. So now you have 3 shells open (username, root, username). Exit is the proper way to close an open shell.
    Agreed. In fact , doing that is very dangerous for production servers because the next person who uses the console might log out of the shell to find out that he/she automatically landed in a root shell! Best would be to exit or ctrl-d.
    Loco Team Contact
    Launchpad : https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-sg-team
    Loco Website : http://ubuntu.sg