Thread: Audio no longer working after AMD Catalyst install, Xubuntu 12.04

Beans

Audio no longer working after AMD Catalyst install, Xubuntu 12.04

On a fresh Xubuntu install today I installed fglrx-updates, fglrx-amdcccle-updates and fglrx-updates-dev and, after restarting, everything worked fine apart from audio. The volume indicator is greyed out and there are no sound options to be found anywhere. I installed pavucontrol and xfce4-mixer but neither of them will open, and every time I try to play a song, the music player (I've tried VLC and gmusicbrowser) either freezes or sits at 0:00. Firefox hangs and eventually needs to be forced closed if I try to watch a video on Youtube or elsewhere. (I posted this on Ask Ubuntu as well, but I'm searching everywhere and can't find another thread like this).

Code:
    lspci | grep Audio
    returns the following:

Code:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05) 
    01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device aab0
    I'm using a Radeon HD 7750 card, but my speakers are connected to the onboard Intel audio.
    Last edited by axbycz; April 14th, 2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Adding Ask Ubuntu link.

Beans

Re: Audio no longer working after AMD Catalyst install, Xubuntu 12.04

Just fixed it! The problem must have lay with Pulseaudio, because when I followed the steps here and uninstalled Pulseaudio, everything worked fine. Youtube videos play properly and no longer lock up the browser and VLC works as it should!