Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: VLC - GPU Video Decoding (Intel HD 4000)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Beans
    438

    VLC - GPU Video Decoding (Intel HD 4000)

    I would like to use VLC to play high res videos but it looks like the CPU does all the decoding, despite the fact that overlay is marked by default.

    Every hint to keep the fan speed low would be appreciated!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: VLC - GPU Video Decoding (Intel HD 4000)

    The Intel HD 4000 gpu is on the cpu, so that may be why you think the cpu does all the decoding. Where are you getting that info, anyway?

    Are you using the sandybridge acceleration (sna) which is available with the later versions of the xserver-xorg-video-intel-2:2.2.21-6 that can even be installed on precise with the appropriate ppa repository. If you're not sure about that run command
    Code:
    grep "SNA init" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    and you will soon see if you are. If there is no output make a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    and add the following text to it
    Code:
    # New xorg.conf file manually added after update of xserver-xorg-video-intel from:-
    # ppa:glasen/intel-driver
    #
    Section "Device"
     Identifier "Card0"
     Driver "intel"
     Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
    EndSection
    and restart the x session.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Beans
    438

    Re: VLC - GPU Video Decoding (Intel HD 4000)

    I thought the CPU is not as powerful as the GPU to decode videos, so the CPU workload produces lots of heat and the fan speeds up.

    Yesterday I've tried to enable SNA with this HowTo but after reboot I could only start Ubuntu with low res once to undo everything.

    Currently Ubuntu runs with xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.2.21-5 and if I enter ...

    Code:
    grep "SNA init" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    I get the following output ...

    Code:
    [     5.388] (II) intel(0): SNA initialized with IvyBridge backend
    So it looks like SNA is enabled.
    Last edited by ubu-for; April 13th, 2013 at 10:26 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Beans
    417
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: VLC - GPU Video Decoding (Intel HD 4000)

    Quote Originally Posted by ubu-for View Post
    I would like to use VLC to play high res videos but it looks like the CPU does all the decoding, despite the fact that overlay is marked by default.Every hint to keep the fan speed low would be appreciated!
    Could you check following settings in VLC??Video Settings => Display mark: Accelerated video output (Overlay) and Output use OpenGL GLX video output (XCB)Input & Codecs: Codecs mark: Use GPU accelerated decoding

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    13,800

    Re: VLC - GPU Video Decoding (Intel HD 4000)

    I've a newer laptop that has intel hd4000 (nvidia gtx 660m) but atm have no interest in installing Ubuntu on it.
    I can however test from a live session where vlc will use hardware decoding if enabled & supported.

    You may want to install vainfo to check -


    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ vainfo
    libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
    libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
    vainfo: VA-API version: 0.32 (libva 1.0.15)
    vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver - 1.0.17
    vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
          VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264Baseline           :	VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264Baseline           :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileVC1Simple              :	VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Main                :	VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
    And then follow previous post (Gyokuro) , Ex.
    Code:
    vlc  -vv /path/to/vid
    clipped...
    libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    [0x7f18640069c8] pulse audio output debug: using stereo channel map
    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
    libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
    [0x7f186cc02cc8] avcodec decoder: Using VA API version 0.32 for hardware decoding.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Beans
    438

    Re: VLC - GPU Video Decoding (Intel HD 4000)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post
    Could you check following settings in VLC??Video Settings => Display mark: Accelerated video output (Overlay) and Output use OpenGL GLX video output (XCB)Input & Codecs: Codecs mark: Use GPU accelerated decoding
    Ok, overlay was marked by default, output was set to default and now to OpenGL GLX video output (XCB).

    Input/Codecs / Videocodes / FFmpeg / "hardware decoding" wasn't marked, now marked, if I got you right.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Beans
    417
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: VLC - GPU Video Decoding (Intel HD 4000)

    Quote Originally Posted by ubu-for View Post
    Ok, overlay was marked by default, output was set to default and now to OpenGL GLX video output (XCB).

    Input/Codecs / Videocodes / FFmpeg / "hardware decoding" wasn't marked, now marked, if I got you right.
    Yes and how is now the CPU utilization - should be lower but not so low as in Mac OS X as the Mac GPU drivers are more advanced but should get much better with Mesa 9.2. It will take some time to get on par with Mac OS X drivers and the Intel's developers are doing a great job within the Mesa project.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Beans
    438

    Re: VLC - GPU Video Decoding (Intel HD 4000)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post
    Yes and how is now the CPU utilization - should be lower but not so low as in Mac OS X as the Mac GPU drivers are more advanced but should get much better with Mesa 9.2. It will take some time to get on par with Mac OS X drivers and the Intel's developers are doing a great job within the Mesa project.
    You're right! After some testing with my downloaded reference video (1080p), the fan does no longer speed up during playback and afterwards it turns higher and higher but not as high as before and not for a long time.

    Thank you very much for your help! That's why I love Ubuntu ... it's not perfect, but the community

    Are you part of the Mesa dev team and is there a time frame for Mesa 9.2?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •