Thread: vehicle maintenance

vehicle maintenance

Hey everyone

Does anyone know of an app for keeping tabs on vehicle maintenance? Ideally a web based app that uses mysql as a backend would be fine. I just want something that both the wife and I can enter data into and perhaps it emails you when it's time to rotate tires or something. Thank you in advance for your help.
    webmaster www.thefuzz4.net
    Ubuntu Saucy on every computer in my house

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: vehicle maintenance

No. Resisted writing a diatribe.

It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to look at the car once a month and check wipers, bodywork, engine oil, tire depth 1.6mm or use a 20p piece (UK), look for uneven tread wear and check pressures. Get the wife or a friend to run around the car and check all the lights and exhaust smoke then listen for any unusual noises.

Always have some oil around and make sure you ask your friendly mechanic or check with manufacturers recommended oil so you have the right stuff. While you're filling the washer bottle, checking the oil and listening for unusual noises just look at the engine bay for any fluids that should not be there.

It's worth taking the car down the road without any music or radio on when you first buy it to get a feel of the 'normal' noises it makes so that you identify an abnormal noise.

Keep the service schedule and always get it stamped.

At the end of the day it's just a car, but it's also mechanical and things do go wrong and do break and apparently it's 3 points and £2500 fine per tyre if the police stop and see. Lets not forget that slick tyres look great on race cars and hot summer days, but put those same tires in the wet and you're not only going to have terrible cornering ability, but stopping suddenly is going to be a problem even with ABS.

I guess my theory is that I make time for these boring checks so that my car is safe so that I'm doing the best I can to not ruin my or anyone else's day.

Beans

I just used the Libre spreadsheet to keep track. Mileage, date, what I did, etc. It doesn't let me know when (at least I don't know how to make it) but I use a 5000 mi difference so it's pretty easy even for me to keep up with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFuzz4 View Post
    Hey everyone

Does anyone know of an app for keeping tabs on vehicle maintenance? Ideally a web based app that uses mysql as a backend would be fine. I just want something that both the wife and I can enter data into and perhaps it emails you when it's time to rotate tires or something. Thank you in advance for your help.
    I think this is a creative idea ... perhaps you should contact a car manufacturer and suggest it. My Toyota Highlander certainly monitors all sorts of activities and presents in car reminders. Since it has bluetooth capabilities I suspect that is shouldn't be too much of a stretch to have this info sent to a phone or email account.

No. Resisted writing a diatribe.

It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to look at the car once a month and check wipers, bodywork, engine oil, tire depth 1.6mm or use a 20p piece (UK), look for uneven tread wear and check pressures. Get the wife or a friend to run around the car and check all the lights and exhaust smoke then listen for any unusual noises. ...
    While I agree that one's personal inspection is important, some folks have pretty much everything automated - I for one!
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel Celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

http://getontracks.org. I've used it for years running on a Dapper Drake machine, and it still runs. I installed the latest version using a stack: http://bitnami.org/stacks

For calendar, I use google's calendar because it integrates with my Android phone, providing reminders. Tracks can publish RSS feeds which can then be emailed or sent via text message. There are lots of ways to use it.
    Last edited by tgalati4; April 14th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.