Thread: VDPAU and Flash videos

Beans

VDPAU and Flash videos

Hi all!!

I'm here asking you if there is a way to get VDPAU works with flash videos (like youtube) in Firefox...

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 x64 on a Atom + Nvidia ION equipped motherboard and I've activated the Experimental proprietary Nvidia drivers (310.40); using Gnome MPlayer VDPAU works fine and I can watch 1080p movies without problems...

When I try to watch a video from Youtube and I look at the video's info I get "accelerated video rendering" but "software video decoding"...
    In Windows 7, instead, HD flash videos plays smoothly (even 1080p); infact i can see in the video info "accelerated video rendering" and "accelerated video decoding".

Any suggestion is higly appreciated!

(p.s: sorry for my bad english!!)

Beans

Re: VDPAU and Flash videos

Bump...

the same happens with a laptop equipped with Nvidia 8200M G (integrated) and Ubuntu 13.04 (32bit) with Nvidia drivers 313...

any suggestion?

Beans

...no one could give me any hint?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by M3m3nt0 View Post
    ...no one could give me any hint?
    Alright, here's a hint: EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode
    GNU/Linux

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

If you only need vdpau for youtube and a few sites there is a better solution, which is not to use flash at all. There are two greasemonkey scripts which play flash videos in some popular sites (Youtube, Vimeo and Dailymotion etc) with mplayer which uses vdpau. Install the gecko-mediaplayer plugin for Firefox (may not work well in Chrome but perfect in FF) and open gnome-mplayer, go to Edit > Preference and change the video output to vdpau

Here are the greasemonkey scripts.

http://linterna-magica.nongnu.org/
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/87011

You only need one. In my experience Viewtube gives you more control (it doesn't load video automatically) but LM works for more sites, LM uses regular expressions to detect flash objects so it works for many sites which are not even explicitly supported, the downside is sometimes you may encounter sites that freeze your browser (because they are too busy?) and these sites need to be excluded (from greasemonkey's settings)

In view of all the flash problems I think these scripts should get more exposures for Linux users.

Also, there is a standalone Youtube viewer that comes with Smplayer (so can configure to use vdpau from Smplayer). Install the latest version from the developer's ppa

https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/smplayer
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 21st, 2013 at 05:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

this is what i use for that
    http://pastebin.com/RY4GqL6b - saved to /usr/local/bin/video
    i pause the video and click the launcher on my panel that runs this command (only works on youtube after you change the playback quality)
    Code:
    video smplayer "-fullscreen -close-at-end -minigui"
    this works on all flash videos that do not use DRM

@brainwash that is very unstable and has even locked my entire system up
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brainwash View Post
    Alright, here's a hint: EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode
    Thanks, I've already tried this trick...but no luck it freezes my system (like pqwoerituytrueiwoq)

I would add another "clue" that will (probably) help identify the problem: on Windows 7 if I use Internet Explorer I have no problem (accelerated rendering & decoding); instead if I use Firefox flash videos are laggy (accelerated rendering but only software decoding)... I've observed this behaviour either on my Atom (N330)+ION motherboard either on an AMD(C50)+Radeon HD 6250 netbook.

At this point I'm asking...Firefox problem?

Beans

Update:

Using XBMC (and the YouTube plugin) all the flash videos run smoothly also at 1080p!!
    Now I assume is a Firefox problem...or am I wrong?

any suggestions on which tests to perform?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by M3m3nt0 View Post
    Now I assume is a Firefox problem...or am I wrong?
    I'd blame Adobe, myself. Now that I'm using an i5 I no longer need hardware acceleration so I can switch it off in flashplayer and not have human smurfs. In general that works fine. I've also thought about trying to use the gecko-mediaplayer plugin for Firefox from the repositories to play Flash videos but haven't gotten around to that option. Maybe you can give it a try and report back.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; June 23rd, 2013 at 03:58 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users