Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Searching a string, output it to an array then delete it based on user input

Beans

Re: Searching a string, output it to an array then delete it based on user input

Quote Originally Posted by schragge View Post
    I guess a better solution would be using mapfile aka readarray:
    Code:
    readarray -t searchOutput < <(grep "$searchTerm" "$ADDRESSBOOK" | sort)
    This also works perfectly, and also thank you for the above comments, its a lot to take in when learning new commands. The code is much clearer now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Searching a string, output it to an array then delete it based on user input

cool, i didn't know about readarray, i knew only about somewhat similar read -a array. I think i have to read about all builtins bash has.

Code:
    IFS=$'\n' read -d'' -a arr < <( ... )
    unfortunately in case of null-delimited inputs which are sometimes useful/necessary i think the only way is to fall back on while read and array+=( elem )
    Last edited by Vaphell; April 13th, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: [Bash] Searching a string, output it to an array then delete it based on user inp

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    Code:
    IFS=$'\n' array=( $output )
    IFS is changed locally only for the creation of array, so you don't have to save it and then restore it
    Only after you posted the example with read -a, it occured to me that the sentence above is wrong.

First, in this case two variables just get assigned, but there's no command word. IFS keeps the new value afterwards. Contrast it with
    Code:
    IFS=$'\n' read ...
    where read is the command word (regular builtin, this won't work with special builtins either), and the scope of IFS is restricted.

And secondly, setting IFS won't affect the array assignment since all variables on the line get assigned first, and only then the new IFS value takes effect.Edit That is incorrect, see the next post by Vaphell.

See POSIX for reference.
    Last edited by schragge; April 23rd, 2013 at 02:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: [Bash] Searching a string, output it to an array then delete it based on user inp

yup, i failed hard quite ironic considering i warned against it this only shows how playing with IFS can backfire.
    I didn't know one can do multiple assignments with only whitespace separating expressions... though when i think about it it makes sense, after all you can do IFS= LANG= SOMETHING_ELSE= some_command

array itself seems to work fine, despite that IFS blunder
    Code:
    $ x=$'a a\nb b\nc c'
    $ unset IFS
    $ array=( $x )
    $ printf "%s\n" "${array[@]}"
    a
    a
    b
    b
    c
    c
    $ IFS=$'\n' array=( $x )
    $ printf "%s\n" "${array[@]}"
    a a
    b b
    c c
    Last edited by Vaphell; April 14th, 2013 at 12:00 AM.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@OP

You might want to check out BashFAQ 005 (link in my signature). It explains the differences between the different methods posted in this thread.

Beans

that is a mighty FAQ, bookmarked! I honestly didn't foresee so many ways to solve this, though as I am fairly new to performing these kinds of functions I'm just happy to get a result.

I did read that it's imperative to UNSET IFS after use and I'm still unclear as to how it can backfire? how bad is bad in this case? As mentioned above the preferred route is to use readArray, keeps the code looking clean too!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234