Thread: RTL8188CE, Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

RTL8188CE, Ubuntu 12.04

I've recently started using Ubuntu 12.04 64bit on a new Lenovo W530, dual booting with Windows 7. I have to admit that I do not know much about computers let alone how to use Ubuntu type commands, although copying and pasting them from instructive pages has helped a great deal.

I seem to be having really inconsistent WIFI issues. I usually connect via a repeater, but WICD takes a very long time to connect to it (WICD usually gets stuck on "obtaining IP address), so I try to move to a room closer to the main router and use the wifi there. Unfortunately that too is quite unstable. There are times when I get decent internet through the repeater but it can be choppy. If I'm using Skype the line almost always drops out (but at random times). Sometimes I can get it working after turning the modem, router and repeater off and on again.

I have tried to read through the past posts on the forums but it seems the problems are quite individual/unique. I do not know what information is required (and what commands I need to put in to display them). If someone could please instruct me how to display the relevant information I will gladly post it to this thread.

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Jonno303; May 26th, 2013 at 02:42 AM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 beginner and WIFI issues.

Wifi sucks. Even if you get everything working perfectly, there is no guaranty that it still won't suck for your location. Any sort of radio interference can cause drops. Neighbors can cause drops. Microwaves can cause drops. Too many devices on the same channel or on any of the 10 channels around the channel can cause drops.

Wifi sucks.

Sorry, not any help, but wired is always better.

If you can accurately describe
    * your hardware
    * your network
    * your RF environment
    perhaps we can help?

google for "wifi troubleshooter ubuntu" to get started. The top 4 hits explain much.

Beans

Thanks for the speedy response and I'm very grateful that a received a response to my question.

I googled "wifi troubleshooter ubuntu" but was quickly lost on the terminology. Perhaps the first three search results were different from yours?

As I'm new to the tech world, I'm not sure if I can provide the detail you ask. But I can say that on my dual booted machine, the Windows side picks up wifi without any trouble. So I don't think the RF environment would play a significant part in my particular case.

My network (hopefully this is the information you want): Siemens speedstream 4200 modem --> Netgear WGR614 v7 ---> Netgear Wifi extender WN 2000RPT.

As for the hardware:
    Processor Intel Core i5-3360M
    Operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64
    Operating system Language Win7 HP64 English
    Total memory 8 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (2 DIMM)
    Hard drive 256GB SSD SATA3 OPAL
    Optical device DVD Recordable, UBE w/SWR
    Battery 9cell LI Battery TWL70++
    Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0 w/ antenna
    WiFi wireless LAN adapters ThinkPad 1x1 b/g/n
    Wireless WAN accessories Mobile Broadband upgradable

Beans

Update:

sudo lshw -C network

Code:
    *-network               
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 19
           bus info: pci@0000:00:19.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 04
           serial: 3c:97:0e:83:5a:fd
           capacity: 1Gbit/s
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=2.0.0-k firmware=0.13-3 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
           resources: irq:42 memory:f3a00000-f3a1ffff memory:f3a3b000-f3a3bfff ioport:7080(size=32)
      *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
           vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
           logical name: wlan0
           version: 01
           serial: a4:17:31:f7:5d:f5
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8192ce driverversion=3.5.0-27-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.4 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
           resources: irq:17 ioport:4000(size=256) memory:f3000000-f3003fff

Last edited by mörgæs; April 23rd, 2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Please use CODE tags

Beans

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 24th, 2013 at 03:57 AM.

Beans

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 24th, 2013 at 03:57 AM.

Beans

many thanks for the constructive advice!

building packages is a bit advanced for me at this stage, but I suppose that is the only way forward from here...

As for Wicd, I came across it whilst searching for a solution to my wifi problems. It hasn't made much (if any) difference to my internet connection, but I can see how handy it can be.

I'll start looking into the Realtek problem now. Thanks again for pointing me in this direction!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno303 View Post
    many thanks for the constructive advice!

building packages is a bit advanced for me at this stage, but I suppose that is the only way forward from here...

As for Wicd, I came across it whilst searching for a solution to my wifi problems. It hasn't made much (if any) difference to my internet connection, but I can see how handy it can be.

I'll start looking into the Realtek problem now. Thanks again for pointing me in this direction!
    Those instructions to use
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential
    which will lead to you reinstalling the headers with every kernel update, which will be a pain. However, there is a fix for this, at least to keep the current kernel headers loaded on your system.
    One of three kernel header packages is required. Run
    Code:
    $ uname -r
    and based on the returned string, install one of these:
    {}-generic-pae =
    Code:
    apt-get install linux-headers-generic-pae
    {}-generic =
    Code:
    apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    {}-server =
    Code:
    apt-get install linux-headers-server
    it will not fix the need to recompile and relink the driver after a new kernel is installed, however. Hopefully, in the future, this specific driver will become core to the supported modules in Linux. Only a DKMS solution will help with that. Being tied to a specific kernel simply sucks, but if wifi is important and this is the hardware that you have, just be certain that once you have the correct kernel that works, you do use
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    in your weekly patching, not dist-upgrade as it recommended for most desktop systems.

Being on 12.04 is also smart. The kernel should be supported via backported security fixes for 4 more years.

Beans

Thanks for these instructions. I have followed them (when I had a relatively strong internet connection) and will report back after 10 days or so.

Thank you again!

Beans

SOLVED (well mostly anyway):

I followed Ahallubunut and TheFu's advice. My wifi has been slow at times and sometimes my wifi extender needs to be reset, but the overall reliability of my internet connection has improved by about 80%. That's good enough for me right now, although I hope that future updates to 12.04 (and other Ubuntu releases) will be more wifi friendly.

Many thanks to the contributors to this thread!