Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Medibuntu abandoned

Beans

Re: Medibuntu abandoned

Yeah but its a little intimidating using a terminal for a newer user
    If the commands are given to copy/paste, it shouldn't be intimidating at all. I've had plenty of people that couldn't figure out how to add a PPA if I linked them (though the instructions are given on every ppa page).

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Other than libdvdcss you also need the non free codecs from medibuntu. You can get them directly from mplayer's website.
    Download the codecs package http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
    Extract it

Create a codecs directory in /usr/lib

Code:
    sudo mkdir /usr/lib/win64
    Then move all the contents from your codecs package to this folder

Code:
    sudo mv pathtocodecsfolder/* /usr/lib/win64
    What else is left that we may need from medibuntu? Probably just the libav -extras libraries. The libav-extras are tricky because if you compile ffmpeg (even as a shared library in /usr) they don't show up as seperate .debs so if you try to install say mplayer (or vlc) from synaptic it will insist on installing the repo's libav libraries as dependencies and use them. So in order to use your compiled versions you would have to compile mplayer (vlc ...) as well..
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 5th, 2013 at 07:17 PM.

Beans

Well again that requires a lot of work the end user should not have to do.
    Now luckily gstreamer can do a lot of what these codecs can do, the only blind spot it seems to have is DVD's (and bluray, but linux isnt good for bluray anyhow)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    So in order to use your compiled versions you would have to compile mplayer (vlc ...) as well..

Beans

The medibuntu versions of libav extra offer very little to the general user as compared to the repo extra versions, maybe just faac encoding
    (the current in use libav just uses libvo_aacenc & maybe native, don't particularly care to see.

w64codecs are virtually worthless, w32codecs have some value though not as much as past days

gstreamer is ok, it's limited what libav offers & what version of libav is on Ubuntu/Debian & quality of gstreamer players which is so-so
    (the next version, if it makes 13.10, will finally offer wmal decoding & for libav likely fdk-aac, opus

As far as libdvdcss2, it's still on the medibuntu server & in any event Andrew's little script will download, build, & install it in a few minutes or less.
    (as far as an ppa for libdvdcss2 while it would only take a few minutes to set up I wouldn't do so, not too sure LP would want it hosted

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man
    as far as an ppa for libdvdcss2 while it would only take a few minutes to set up I wouldn't do so, not too sure LP would want it hosted
    Yeah, I thought about it, but I don't know the legal ramifications of it, and I live in a country run by corporations who love their patent laws. The last thing I need is men in uncomfortable shoes knocking on my door.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Yeah, I thought about it, but I don't know the legal ramifications of it, and I live in a country run by corporations who love their patent laws. The last thing I need is men in uncomfortable shoes knocking on my door.
    I have sent the FBI your way...

You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Still all that is compiling, hopefully someone can get some binary packages compiled and make a new repo.

Beans

That someone could be you. Think of it as an adventure and/or learning experience.

Beans

No as I really dont want to compile unless it is necessary.
    Right now this isnt necessary, once this repo goes down I guess I will have to.

Or I could cheat and use the debian multimedia repo:

http://deb-multimedia.org/

Just use testing to make up for things.
    Last edited by MadmanRB; June 6th, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast