Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Medibuntu abandoned

Beans

Medibuntu abandoned

Hello,

I've just learned that the Medibuntu repository is no longer supported as it is being abandoned by its current mantainer:

https://launchpad.net/medibuntu/+announcement/11219

Will this have any effect on media capability in Ubuntu? Are there any other repositories which provide libdvdcss2, w32codecs, w64codecs, etc?

As a non-knowledgeable end-user, I'd like to know if I will have to manually remove Medibuntu from my repositories once it stops working.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Medibuntu abandoned

There hasn't been a need to add medibuntu to your sources list to install libdvdcss2 for quite some time. Have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    There hasn't been a need to add medibuntu to your sources list to install libdvdcss2 for quite some time. Have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs
    Well how about non-free codecs and the libav-extras packages?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    True but I suspect that the script mentioned on that page downloads libdvdcss from Medibuntu.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Even if no one takes on maintaining, the repos will still be there so as far a libdvdcss2, the script will retrieve or users can dl & install directly from there or Videolan
    w32codecs can be directly dl'ed or gotten from mplayer site

The libav extra packages from mediabuntu are almost the same as the official repo ones, I think the only difference is libfaac support. If one needed that then they'd just have to take care of themselves, either for avconv, ffmpeg, or the current repo source for shared libs can be rebuilt to include libfaac.

As far as the other more obscure packages there, the raring builds may be good for awhile, if not the again a user would have to do for themselves.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    As far as the other more obscure packages there, the raring builds may be good for awhile, if not the again a user would have to do for themselves.
    And once again, with users having to build or rebuild packages, multimedia guides will flourish again on the Ubuntu Forums

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    And once again, with users having to build or rebuild packages, multimedia guides will flourish again on the Ubuntu Forums
    You seem to be very happy about it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    You seem to be very happy about it.
    Not happy that a great resource for Ubuntu users seems to be drifting along unmaintained, hopefully somebody will take the reins and allow Medibuntu to continue and grow. My own approach to creating media packages has always been a little more hands-on though and for a time, if MediBuntu remains quiescent, this approach will be useful on these Forums.

Beans

Borrowing from my own work here is a method of downloading and installing the windows codecs used by MPlayer (create a download directory of course):

*********************************/mplayer.html#codecs

I am not sure how many Ubuntu media packages look at /usr/local/lib/codecs but the path can of course easily be modified...

Beans

Unhappy medibuntu.org ??

What's happened to medibuntu.org? This morning I can no longer resolve packages.medibuntu.org, nor www.medibuntu.org, and the IP address formerly associated with packages.medibuntu.org (88.191.127.22) is no longer pingable.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast