Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any progress with Realtek drivers for wireless?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Any progress with Realtek drivers for wireless?

A couple of weeks ago I installed 13.04 to test it out on my machine. When logging in my wireless wouldnt connect to any wireless network. The problem is that after every kernel update or fresh install I would have to install the right drivers for my wireless adapter. With the new kernel presented in 13.04, I was unable to do so. The driver simply wouldn't compile. I installed the latest headers, build essentials, etc and it just wouldnt work. A user here had a similar problem. Also, I would always follow these instructions http://www.r-statistics.com/2011/11/...-ubuntu-11-10/ and they have worked in 12.10. A couple of weeks have went by and I would like to know if for those who had trouble with Realtek wireless drivers in the past with 13.04, I would like to know if those issues have been resolved by now.
    Last edited by tjeremiah; April 27th, 2013 at 11:30 PM.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Any progress with Realtek drivers for wireless?

Nothing from RealTek AFAIK. There is a fix in the last post of this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=8188CUs

I haven't tried that fix. I suspect RealTek will release an updated driver around or after 13.04's release date. I saw something about an effort to fix the driver in the mainline kernel but I don't have a link.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a realtek 8185 chipset in my test box and no problems with it .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I know mine currently does not work. But I haven't tried any fixes for it yet either. Just waiting on them to release a new driver.
    Cheers!
    Phenom II X4 955 Denab BE OC 3.8mhz | 8gig G.Skill 1600 RAM | Corsair 750 PSU | XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 | 1TB WD Black HDD Win7 | 160gig WD HDD Ubuntu 13.10
    --Feel like your question has been answered, mark as SOLVED!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    I have a realtek 8185 chipset in my test box and no problems with it .
    with Kernel 3.8?

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Any progress with Realtek drivers for wireless?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums, but this thread caught my eye. I purchased a Toshiba L855-S5273 laptop back in December, with the following specs:

Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz × 8
    Graphics - Intel® Ivybridge Mobile
    Memory - 6GiB
    OS Type - 64 bit

I'm only posting my specs to serve as a barometer for some of you who are having issues with Wi-Fi; My laptop has the Realtek 8188ce drivers, and Ubuntu is the ONLY distro that my Wi-Fi works on right out of the box (including the live CD/DVD). To date, I've tried Linux Mint 14.1, Debian 7, openSUSE 12.3, and Linux Mint Debian Edition, and none of them will recognize my router. Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10, and now 13.04 have ALL worked perfectly on my hardware, and have done so immediately. The only issue I have with 13.04 is the fact that Cinnamon doesn't work 100% (Cinnamon Settings won't open), but wireless has been fine.

Hopefully, any of you who have a setup similar to mine, can have the kind of success I've had with Ubuntu, and just maybe, my success with an installation, using Realtek drivers will encourage someone to take the plunge.

Beans

What wireless adapter do you have? If it's the AE1000 it should work out of the box, but AE3000 you need to compile the driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

as of today I still cant find a solution. This is with current updated 13.04. Google searching does nothing to help me. Hopefully tomorrow a solution will pop up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans

Well, in my case (8188ce) it was enough to remove __devinit/__devinitdata stuff (removed in linux 3.8) to get it to compile. Hopefully I haven't broken anything badly. I definitely cannot reccomend this approach, but it seems to work for me, for now at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast