Thread: How to connect to internet?

Beans

How to connect to internet?

Hi, i've installed Debian Squeeze yesterday, but i can't have acess to internet, neither to any interface to connect it (i'm on wireless).

At the installation it give an error saying that dhcp didn't worked out or something so i choosed "configure it later"... but it detected the network adapter (Atheros AR5001).

i've been searching, but i'm a noob on this, though, if i enter the "lspci |grep Network" command i receive "02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)" so i assume that the adapter is working but i can't have acess to internet.

Any help?

Beans

Re: How to connect to internet?

Quote Originally Posted by zt33 View Post
    Hi, i've installed Debian Squeeze yesterday, but i can't have acess to internet, neither to any interface to connect it (i'm on wireless).

At the installation it give an error saying that dhcp didn't worked out or something so i choosed "configure it later"... but it detected the network adapter (Atheros AR5001).

i've been searching, but i'm a noob on this, though, if i enter the "lspci |grep Network" command i receive "02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)" so i assume that the adapter is working but i can't have acess to internet.

Any help?
    Can you ping? Have you checked into your network manager? What do you have in /etc/network/interfaces?

Please post:

Code:
    ping www.google.com
    and

Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi:

When I first installed Debian I couldn't connect to the internet either and I'm wireless too-

I had to go into this file too-
    /etc/network/interfaces
    In my case Wired and Wireless where both indicated
    I had to comment out the Wired argument with the (#) sign and when I re-started I had a wireless connection.

You can use Nano or Gedit to edit that file if you need to edit it-
    "A morning w/o coffee is like something w/o something else"

Voyager 12.04 Xubuntu based on AMD Phenom Quad Core & Fedora on Sony Vaio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

have you tried sudo dhclient eth0. works on live cd/usb at least for me.
    The Answer Please if at all Possible